Thread: Planned Old Republic style saber build, some questions about building

Default Planned Old Republic style saber build, some questions about building

Hello! New to the forums here- well sorta. I've roved around the site aimless for quite a bit now, but anyway- Yep. I got dragged into the awesome world of saber building. I saw the stuff everyone was doing here, and what the companies who sell complete sabers were doing, and I think it would be much more fun to build a personal saber then buy a pre-made one. (My thanks to you guys and your awesome builds- they truly are inspiring.) Also, I think I got a handle on what to and what not to say (like stock questions and obvious stuff that I've seen 'round the forum.) but I apologize in advance if I do. (Also, I shall be updating this thread with info/pictures/progress as I build the saber.)

So, this project is for a very dear friend of mine as a gift, and I'm trying to do it in a rustic/old republic style. So I'll probably wrap the extension in leather, and do some rootkill method acid etching on some parts.

So, I've compiled a list of what I'm going to need for the (LED) saber below:

Saber Aluminum Parts

SaberBuilder_render.jpg

MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 21

Hilt Style 1 [16mm recessed/machine work for Box 2,3,5,6 Mounting] (Ordered already. On it's way in the mail.)

MHS choke style 3

MHS deep ribbed extension

Activation box style 5

MHS Sleeve material (For shroud/sleeve making)

MPS Pommel style 8

Saber Electronics Ect I will apologize right off the bat here. I've looked through a bunch of the forum about electronics, but I'm still having some questions/issues with some things.

Luxeon Rebel Star LED (Amber) [I hear this one is good- also, it's the only one I saw that had Amber as a color option, which I would very much like.)

Rebel Star LED & MHSV1 Heatsink Module (Amber, obviously) [Confused slightly, in the description it says the heatsink comes with ALL the LED stuff? does this eliminate the need to get any of the lenses/holders/actual LEDs?]

Collimator Lens 8.7 deg (I've learned that the lens does make a difference in things- but I never quite found out what. Will do some research.)

Rebel Lens Holder (Do I absolutely need this to hold everything in place properly?)

Buckpuck 1000mA (Do I need the six or four wire version?)

Yellow LED indicator

16 mm momentary switch Yellow dot, or stainless short (If I have a buckpuck, do I need a resistor for the indicator and switch still?)

MWS Pre-Wired Nano Biscotte Sound Module V2 (Does this regulate the momentary switch? Do I not need a buckpack or resistor- or do I have to have both?)

MWS BuckPuck (Do I need this or does the Nano Biscotte pre-wired come with it?)

Battery Pack. (I don't know much about which would be a good choice. I've heard Li-ion packs are the way to go, but I am not overly familiar with them.)

MWS Recharge Port

Speakers. (I'm rather confused about this subject. Are the speakers powered by a second power source, or are they powered by the battery for the LED/sound? What is a good one to get?)

So, that is the list of things. I don't plan on buying a blade yet, I want to finish the saber first. I I'm not sure if I'm missing anything- but please tell me if I am. My first saber is a tad daunting .... Suppose I gotta wait till the rest of the parts are back in stock anyways.

Anyway, thank you in advanced guys, and sorry if I asked a question that there has been controversy over or that shouldn't be asked. Pardon my ignorance!

Cant wait to read the replies, i thought that using a NB meant you did'nt need a puck. If so i will need to read the entire electronic and LED guides.
    Good luck with your build.
    SON OF A SITH!

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard!

You know that's nearly an 18" hilt? Generally, single blade hilts range from 11-13". To each their own though, just wanted you to be aware in case you missed it.

No buck puck with the NB. Resistors are the way to go. You'll need them for both the main LED and switch LED. For the switch, you can use the dyna-ohm for an easy solution or do the calculations to get a smaller (size) resistor. Although, with an 18" hilt you probably don't have to worry too much about saving space.

If you're getting a pre-wired LED module , than yes it comes with everything. No need to order lens, holder, etc. See the product description, it lists everything included.

The prewired NB does not come with resistors.

You can use a 3.7v Li-Ion with the NB. I suggest downloading the manual and reading it several times.

The speaker is wired to the board. Again, see the manual. Either one of the 28mm speakers in the store are good. Obviously, the bass speaker gives a deeper sound.

Oh, and you'll want to consider how you're going to hold everything in place inside the hilt. i.e. chassis

Good luck on your build.

Thanks for the super quick reply and information! It helped tons! Was using the Bpfasshi Dark Jedi hilts as a sort of inspiration with the hilt length (theirs are long-handle single blades), but thanks for the warning!

You'll need an MPS insert for your pommel along with this clip to hold it in place.

Just for your information, there are also CREE amber LEDs here. It won't make a large difference but CREEs perform better than rebels.

Also, don't forget to get a kill key/kill plug for your recharge port.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.