Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Cutting MHS Threads

So over lunch I modeled (SolidWorks) and stress tested it using SimScale. I tested full thread and 1/2 thread (both on the thread and on the grind), using 37,000 newtons as the impact force. For reference 37,000 newtons is the average impact force an MLB player places on a baseball through Bat contact, and was a number I had in my memory without testing anything. Material chosen for the tubes was 6061 Al, with a blade holder length of 3", hilt length of 3" Hilt was the fixture, blade holder edge was the input of the force vector.

The cut did impose more psi on the threads as expected though even when the force vector was perpendicular to the threads (on the grind/hollow) it was just below the shear force of the AL. Force applied on the thread sides only slightly increased the PSI and never exceeded safe forces. Addition of a set screw on each of the flat sides returned the stresses to within reasonable levels when impacted perpendicular to the threads.

So Conclusion based solely on Computer Simulation NOT physical testing:
    Method in theory is plausible, with the addition of set screws on the ground off thread face. Try it first before ruining your saber. I will be testing it when I get around to building my next saber, as the 1/4 turn is much more prefered, especially when I am a Designer and Ergonomist. And mine will be more decoration and art pieces than battle blades. I forge real blades for that.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 12-10-2015 at 03:00 PM.