Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cutting MHS Threads

Not a stupid question. Yes, but I did try that. The twists in the wires is not an issue, it's the wires are off center and rotate around the edge of the interior, and as a result run into the wires of the button /charge port.

Maybe a keyway to run the wires in and hold them with putty. Thats all i have but like i said i havent built one yet, still at the drawing stage... i must have like 50 sketches but none that i like. I need a CAD or CAM program.
    Good luck!
    SON OF A SITH!

Quote Originally Posted by CET View Post
    Not a stupid question. Yes, but I did try that. The twists in the wires is not an issue, it's the wires are off center and rotate around the edge of the interior, and as a result run into the wires of the button /charge port.
    I think you may have mis understood the suggestion, as your reply tends to reference the twists in the wires. He meant have you tried wrapping the wires counter-clockwise (as if threading the part on with left hand threads) prior to threading the parts together. This allows the wires to un-thread as the parts are threaded together. It is actually not all that uncommon on high-end low-volume electrical components such as the medical drills and saws I design for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorgal Pain View Post
    Maybe a keyway to run the wires in and hold them with putty. Thats all i have but like i said i havent built one yet, still at the drawing stage... i must have like 50 sketches but none that i like. I need a CAD or CAM program.
    Good luck!
    As a Product designer 50+ sketches are more powerful than any CAD software. Unless you know 90+% of the design before going into CAD the "tool will become the designer". I usually have 30+ hours (per concept) of sketching in sketchbook Pro (or marker paper) before I ever start SolidWorks or Pro/E.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    As a Product designer 50+ sketches are more powerful than any CAD software. Unless you know 90+% of the design before going into CAD the "tool will become the designer". I usually have 30+ hours (per concept) of sketching in sketchbook Pro (or marker paper) before I ever start SolidWorks or Pro/E.
    Thing is, some of the ideas i have i see clearly in my head but i cant draw them. Solidworks would help get those parts done, best exemple, i cant draw a propeller, what i wanna draw is simillar to that. (Just an exemple)
    Im trying to sketch from the 3 POV (dunno the term in english) that way i get a better idea of how to machine them.
    But i will keep sketching no mather what, still quicker!
    Last edited by Thorgal Pain; 12-07-2015 at 04:35 PM.
    SON OF A SITH!

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    I think you may have mis understood the suggestion, as your reply tends to reference the twists in the wires. He meant have you tried wrapping the wires counter-clockwise (as if threading the part on with left hand threads) prior to threading the parts together. This allows the wires to un-thread as the parts are threaded together. It is actually not all that uncommon on high-end low-volume electrical components such as the medical drills and saws I design for a living.
    Ah, I understand! There's not enough wire to do that. I'd need a LOT of extra wire to accomplish that (5 or 6 revolutions worth at ~3" per revolution) and the available space is pretty tight.

The more I turn this over in my mind, I think filling and then filing down the threads for as tight of a "slip-on" fit as possible with about 10 button screws all around will give the best result and even add a little bit of style.

It's interesting how much this saber has changed from the original design both from necessity and as well as a few esthetic reconsiderations.

If you file off the threads there will be no tightness to the new fit at all; it will rattle around and you'll want to make a spacer or some sort so that you don't distort the metal when you bolt it together.

If I fill them and then file down each side about halfway, it should be a tight fit.

You could make the wire coming out of the CC longer, don't connect it, screw the parts together, then fish the two end out of the switch holes connect them put them back in the hilt, screw down the switch. No twisted wires. Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorgal Pain View Post
    Thing is, some of the ideas i have i see clearly in my head but i cant draw them. Solidworks would help get those parts done, best exemple, i cant draw a propeller, what i wanna draw is simillar to that. (Just an exemple)
    Im trying to sketch from the 3 POV (dunno the term in english) that way i get a better idea of how to machine them.
    But i will keep sketching no mather what, still quicker!
    Well this is a Free basic CAD system I have used to teach Middle and High schooler who are beginning to bring Industrial Design and the Maker culture into schools. It is a great tool for the price. others apps in the family include circuits and an app for designing your own printed circuit boards. The later is perfect for using on copper clad board for making custom boards in-house.
    http://www.123dapp.com/design