Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Securing MHS parts together

Default Securing MHS parts together

Hey guys,

Is it recommended to drill a threaded hole through the threaded parts of the MHS pieces? I've noticed that during dueling, the MHS parts tend to unscrew themselves a little and it gets a bit annoying whenever I have to re-screw them together mid-battle. As such I was considering drilling threaded holes to place additional screws between the MHS parts to secure them together. Or are there better methods of doing this?

I normally use loctite thread locking compound to keep mine from coming apart.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

You definitely could do that if you are having issues with them coming apart.

I personally just screw them together super tight. I have more problems with them not coming apart easily when I want them too, than I do with them coming apart on their own when I don't

Quote Originally Posted by sgcdialler View Post
    I normally use loctite thread locking compound to keep mine from coming apart.
    Will this also keep the pieces "glued" together? If so, it might be less than ideal if I need to open them up for maintenance or repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire Yeldarb View Post
    You definitely could do that if you are having issues with them coming apart.

I personally just screw them together super tight. I have more problems with them not coming apart easily when I want them too, than I do with them coming apart on their own when I don't
    I mostly have issues with it coming un-screwed between the main body and the choke since that's where my grip is especially when I execute spins.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Interesting

Well then I personally would say go for putting in some set screws, especially if you want to be able to get into the saber easily later on.

Reminder that when drilling through threads, be sure to measure thrice, drill once!

Will do! Thank you!

Personally I'd start with 'blue loctite' which is non permanent and should keep things together without making any permanent modifications. Clean threads thoroughly first of course. If that doesn't do the trick, 'red loctite' is stronger but removable with heat (hair dryer and some force should get it apart). Only after the no modification tries would I move on to drilling and cutting threads.
    Would a lightsaber switchblade be redundant?

Quote Originally Posted by Drawcut View Post
    Personally I'd start with 'blue loctite' which is non permanent and should keep things together without making any permanent modifications. Clean threads thoroughly first of course. If that doesn't do the trick, 'red loctite' is stronger but removable with heat (hair dryer and some force should get it apart). Only after the no modification tries would I move on to drilling and cutting threads.
    Blue loctite is non-permanent? Hmm, I will try that first.

I actually use teflon tape on the threads (you find it in the plumbing section for waterproofing threaded joints) instead of loctite. It prevents accidental unscrewing, but it's still easy to open for repairs.

Blue loctite is a good choice as well, especially on small things like screws where you can't get teflon tape to stick.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!