Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Totally Realistic

aaah... You see, I'm just a swedish 14 year old teenager, so my english is not perfect... So "god" was supposed to be "good"
    You usually can't notice it but this was a pretty long post...

EDIT: and I'm not teligious at all. By "Jesus" I mean the man/woman hos is going to make the perfect lightsaber...
    The point of this is actually out to lunch.

Blog Entries

Default You want to prove you have something???

Hi Bodi,

So, you want to prove you have something and the same time protect yourself...

As Xwing and many others have said, your first order of business should be to pursue a patent.

Go here:
    http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/howtopat.htm

To save MONEY and TIME, file for a "Provisional Application for Patent". Once the Provisional Patent is accepted by the US Patent office you can legally say "PATENT PENDING!" Hooray!!

Provisional patents cost less to file and buys you 12 months to fully develop your idea into a marketable product under the protection of patent laws (with certain limitations). This means that you can then show off your idea to people like us and not worry that we will take it for our own profit.

Another benefit would be that it would be harder for this community (and others like it) to shout BS if you have a Patent Number to back your claims.

My advice to you.
    1> spend a LOT of time in the US Patent web site. Look for other patents and technology that can relate to your's in any possible way. You will need that information when filing your claim. It is called Prior Art.
    2> Act FAST. your research and patent should have been done yesterday... No, a month before yesterday.

Disclaimer: I'm not a patent lawyer, but I was pursuing a patent in early 2006. Unfortunately a company in Asia had the same idea and beat me with getting the product to market. The idea - A tracer system for airsoft built into the BB magazine. Ohh well...
    -------------------------------------------

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." - Thomas A. Edison

LONG POST WARNING!!!

Patenting aside, there are a few ways you can go about marketing this.

One way would be to market whole, entire pieces (think Ultrasabers) - I personally would be slightly wary, because of the (very remote, but real) potential for intellectual property infringement lawsuit from Lucas Arts.

Another way would be to design a kit that a hobbiest could put together in a weekend or so. You would supply 100% of the necessary components in box.

Both of these have the drawback that you need to generate people willing to buy the product, in addition to actually having to make the product in the first place. This is typically called a direct to market approach, and although it seems lucrative, the costs of generating consumers usually eliminates the advantage you gain from it.

The third way, and what I think you will realize is ultimately the most profitable, would be to design a kit that would fit inside components already in use with as little modification as possible (look at Stryder's MHS, or even a sinktube) - I would stay away from requiring a Graflex because of unstable prices that those go for. This kit would then be sold (at wholsesale) to people like Ultra and Stryder and Corbin, who already have existing retail operations. This eliminates your having to generate your own sales. You can focus on manufacturing and R&D.

Regardless of which way you choose, you absolutely need to do three things:

Secure a patent on your system. There are different ways to do this, so speak with a patent attorney. They are worth their fee. DO NOT call one of those late-night 1-800-INVENTOR companies. You will pay exorbant fees and could even lose control over your own product.

Write a business plan. I went to college for 6 years to be able to do this correctly, so I cannot stress the importance of this enough. If you want more information on this, PM me. My advice if free for the asking, and as a former C.O.O. (chief operations officer) of a corporation, I could write a book on the subject. Maybe someday I will.

Develop and produce a working model. Several would be better. The patent office will need documentation of proof of concept, and anyone you deal with is going to want to see this thing in hand, from manufacturers to investors to resellers. After you have your provisional patent, your idea is protected, so others would not be able to gain from your invention. You could then feel more free to demonstrate your concept.

One other word of advice, and take it or leave, but build as many friends as you can. One reason that Hyper's product is considered a failure, while it really is impressive, is that the man is a bit of a egmaniacal pompous @$$. He pissed God and creation off in his postings, and threatening of lawsuits left and right. Learn from his mistakes.

I hope this helps. I'm off to start writing that book...

Jedi Knight
    Sith Acolyte
    Jedi Knight
    DDP FETCHER,SIG BNDWGN STARTER,BOT-WTCH LEADER,PROUDFSM member,FORMER Unofficial TCSS postwhore

Quote Originally Posted by Dregan
    LONG POST WARNING!!!
    LOOONG

I hope this helps. I'm off to start writing that book...
    Good Luck!

m..my smiley! The TCSS sig Changer! Former official TCSS postwhore! TCSS Bot Watch scout & declarer! =P
    I am a kinda PROUD member of the FSM!

sorry to say but i think its rude to be starting off someones own business on this site which is a store of a good friend (Strydur). honestly i still think its bs, i need to see it in person. the way you say this stuff bodi, it smells like bullcrap. like for example in your first post how you said it can get "NUCLEAR" type bright then i kind of lost my belief. but now that your actually going to pursue a patent please keep in mind that it would be nice to at least show progress pics. if you are going to be sour about this and not show pics of your rig then all is worthless. this is a website about sharing stuff, not keeping it a secret, i mean this isnt the CIA for cryin out loud. just think about what i said. im not tryin to steal your idea. im only 14 years old(soon to be 15 in 3 days.). i could honestly care less about your invention. we want to know what its all about before we go ahead and buy, if any buy it. i mean you never know if its a flimsy piece of crap or something worth talking about.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Holy Hell! What the hell happened here? Did someone chew through their restraints or forget to take their Ritalin?

Good thing I wear cowboy boots, because the BS in this thread is deep!

Bodi, stop. Nobody believes you. It's nothing against you as a person, but you've thrown down some claims that cannot possibly exist with what we currently know of saber technology (and not to mention the pesky laws of physics). If your idea is so great, patent it, get rich, then be sure to come back here and point fingers at us and laugh. Oh, and post pics when you do. We'll gladly eat humble pie. Until that time, however, stop.

Now, where is my shovel...

I wonder if Dave Thomas ever walked in to a McDonalds and said hey I have this idea for new burger, what do y'all think?

I personally don't give a crap if it is legit or not, the idea of coming on a forum linked to a store....Oh screw it, I sick of it.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus

Good thing I wear cowboy boots, because the BS in this thread is deep!
    :P
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

I'm not saying that this is legit or not, but people remember one thing. These days technology is advancing at a rate that is so accelerated it would be hard measure. Compared to the rest of known human history the last century has been insane in scientific and technological advances and it continues to accelerate.

About 100 years ago the automobile and airplane were first introduced to the world. Imagine how far we've come since then. As far as whats 'possible' today I don't think anyone can say for sure because it is just not possible for any one person to be an expert (and keep up) with all relevant aspects of what would be needed for saber design.

I think humankind is hindered more by all of those that say we will never be able to do _____. We really know so little about our world, the universe, and how it all works to be able to predict anything like that.
    'I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you.'

I'm probably wrong but from his discription I'm going to venture a guess that his blade is a fluorescent tube if you have ever stood under long fluorescent tubes and looked up at them what do you see a really bright humming, glowing, and even rotoscoping tube it fits his discription.
    "The Force is my Ally"