Thread: How far can you go with a dremel Press?

Default How far can you go with a dremel Press?

Hello All,
    I wanted to know if there was a collet or a Dremel Bit I could use with my dremel to to make holes big enough for 12mm & 16mm holes for switches on the hilt of my saber. I've been using a regular Drill and the control is not very good. If I can't use the dremel can i just find a press that works with my drill or just go to the next l;evel and find a bargain on a drill press? if so what can i get away with? I would like to be able to do a recessed hole too.

Scary

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

I do not think that the Dremel has the torque to make a proper hole in the Aluminum parts, but I could be mistaken. I just use my hand drill to drill all my holes, though I too have considered upgrading to a Drill Press just to make things easier.

I've thrown around the Idea of getting a press that would hold my drill. I have a garage that I have been using as a workshop, but there's no heat and it gets pretty Cold here in the Chicago area. Garage isn't very big and there's a lot of stuff in there that won't fir in the house.

Blog Entries

I dont believe a Dremel can handle jobs of that size. On top of that, the press that Dremel makes for their tools is not that great. It's quite flimsy and is only ok for small holes in soft materials like wood and plastic. Even then it's still not great.

I got an 8" Wen bench top drill press from Amazon for $79 + shipping and use it all the time. Its small and can handle most jobs. It does get a little feisty with bigger holes so you have to take your time and make sure it and your work is stable.

I got an inexpensive drill press that fits on my workbench from Harbor Freight. It does the job and doesn't take up too much room.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    I got an inexpensive drill press that fits on my workbench from Harbor Freight. It does the job and doesn't take up too much room.
    Me too. I think it was less than $60, and has served me well for many projects.

Edit: Now it's $70, but it comes with a light!
    Last edited by Mineral; 11-30-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Dremels are not the best for drilling metal. You can, but their tiny bits are prone to breaking if you bend or bind and if you aren't careful with the speed, you'll dull the bit quickly.

Your building will go a lot easier with this...

http://t.harborfreight.com/self-cent...jig-92046.html

And this...

http://t.harborfreight.com/8-in-5-sp...ess-60238.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mineral View Post
    Me too. I think it was less than $60, and has served me well for many projects.

Edit: Now it's $70, but it comes with a light!
    Agreed. Mine was less than that with their 20% off coupon (which you can always get, FYI). It is small, about the size of an older desktop tower, just make sure you get a vise that can be secured to the bed.

I just used mine to drill a hole into an Obi pommel cube. The drill press chatters just a bit, which is terrifying, but it did the job. I recommend them.

just echoing what everyone is saying here. Get a drill press. I have a mill and I'm still going to get a drill press because changing collets for chucks and all that jazz gets annoying and would rather just take it straight out of the mill and go over to a drill press just for speed/convenience. Just have to work in extra spending money for it between xmas presents for the family and actual tools I need for work. One things for sure though I never feel bad about buying tools.

Thanks for chiming in everyone. This was a big help.