Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to this.

Default New to this.

I have recently found myself wanting to build my own lightsaber from scratch. Im planing on machining the hilt, crystal chamber and saber skeleton, but will be buying all the electronics except for the LED part.
    I must say that finding this forum was a benediction of the force, until now, i was mostly making mistakes in designing and was trying to figure everything out on my own.
    So thank you everyone for sharing all that knowledge.
    Im still at the drawing stage but when i do have something to share you guys will be the first to see it.

Welcome to the Forums.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Welcome to the forums. Good luck with your design.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Quick question, im working on a full interior design, no chassis, all the parts would be in machined compartments to be as close to a true lightsaber would look like from the inside and im starting to worry about weight.
    Would the extra weight help balance the saber once the blade is in?
    Is weight even an issue?
    Finaly, what would be an acceptable weight for a lightsaber?
    The lightsaber will mostly be for display but i plan on using it occasionnaly.
    Thank you!
    SON OF A SITH!

I can't really tell you what weight is acceptable to you. You'll have to decide that for yourself. As for balance, that depends on the blade you use. If you use a thick wall blade, it might balance better but if this thing is mostly for display, you'll probably want a thin wall blade.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Again with yet another question.
    Im looking to buy a soldering station, i read it needs to be ESD safe (what ever that means) but what about watts and temperature, what am i looking for?
    I need to start practicing so i dont ruin my electronics when im ready to start building. ��
    SON OF A SITH!

ESD= Electro Static Discharge...which happens when static builds up in your clothes and you get a shock when you touch someone else, or something metal...the current in one of those arcs is a lot higher than you might think and will destroy electronics. There are topics around the forum already that have suggestions for soldering stations, it's a very common question.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

TY, i will dig through the forum some more.
    SON OF A SITH!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorgal Pain View Post
    Is weight even an issue?
    You didn't mention what you are machining your hilt out of. Aluminum is pretty light, and I would think that even a solid aluminum hilt would be "light enough", so once you hollow it out some you will be fine.

I think you'll find that adding in li-ion batteries will do wonders for the weight of your saber. I have one saber with a pair of 18650s in it, and it's a beast in my hands. When empty, that saber is fairly light.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!