Thread: Old style blade holder help.

Default Old style blade holder help.

Alright I am in need of assistance. It has been some time (years) since I have built a lightsaber and well a few months ago I felt the awakening and decided to build a new one. So down to business I have hilt parts from a previous saber and decided to save a few credits and use them so I ordered all my internals including an old style LED mount since my blade holders are the old style. So after I wire it together (that brought back some found memories) I go to screw the blade holder onto the choke that is holding my LED and once I get it screwed all the way down their is a gap between my lens and the blade holder it dose not sit flush. I tried using clocking washers to rase the LED mount up thinking that would make it sit flush but it still dose not sit flush. I have tried it with two other different blade holders and chokes but on each one it still is not flush. I am wondering if I just need to buy the new style blade holder and mount and that should work or what? Any suggestions would be greatly received.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

What is the LED? There used to be a shim sold in the store (it's not there now) that went between the LED and the heat sink because when the Rebels were new tech they had a thinner base plate which resulted in a gap. You may try emailing Tim and see if there are left.

I've also send an old style BH back to Tim for custom work, namely having it bored out to accept the new style LED holders. Custom work fee applied, and shipping costs both ways, but at the time I wasn't going to go through re-drilling and aligning all the greeblies in a new holder.

This may not be your issue, but others using old school blade holders may run into this, and I really like complete threads.

The lenses for the tri-whatever LEDs are about 4mm shorter then a single LED set up. The old school heatsink may not push it up high enough into the blade holder to flush it to the bottom of the blade socket.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

i think i just got the smaller lens and LED. Thank you for the advice. I figured Tim had changed stuff since I last built a saber.

Yes, the new heat sink assemblies were designed to accommodate several different types of LED setups.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Yes, the new heat sink assemblies were designed to accommodate several different types of LED setups.
    FJK The new copper heat sinks are much thinner than the old style... can the new thinner copper heat sinks handle the same amount of heat that the larger copper of the older heat sinks?

Quote Originally Posted by setelf3of5 View Post
    FJK The new copper heat sinks are much thinner than the old style... can the new thinner copper heat sinks handle the same amount of heat that the larger copper of the older heat sinks?
    For the most part, yes, because it's not just the copper, but the Aluminum "hat" which also takes some of the heat.
    Also, using some common sense is always recommended. If you are going to try to run "super bright" setups, things like the V3 heatsinks are always a good way to go.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    For the most part, yes, because it's not just the copper, but the Aluminum "hat" which also takes some of the heat.
    Also, using some common sense is always recommended. If you are going to try to run "super bright" setups, things like the V3 heatsinks are always a good way to go.
    Ok, then what I was thinking is correct (for brighter set-ups)...thank you JFK.

Yes I remember the shims that used to be sold in the shop. Dose anyone know of anything that I could use to kind of DIY a shim for the LED? I guess what kind of material could I make one out of myself? If that is evan possible.