Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Another Graflex Build

Rethink the glue/resin... got it.

I'd like to print my own chassis but I don't know enough about the dimensions of any of these parts to risk doing it...
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverDark View Post
    I'd like to print my own chassis but I don't know enough about the dimensions of any of these parts to risk doing it...
    Keep in mind these numbers fluctuate depending on where you take the measurements, how old the parts are, and how corroded they've become. Also they aren't always perfectly round. Mine, for example, is just slightly oblong, lol.

Upper Hilt
    1.49" OD
    1.39" ID
    4.46" L (clamp to bottom of shrowd)
    5.93" L (overal)
    0.1" thickness

Lower Hilt
    1.49" OD
    1.39" ID
    4.64" L (overal length)
    0.1" thickness

Clamp
    1.57" OD
    1.49" ID
    0." Thick
    2.02" L (overal)

UNMODIFIED the upper and lower halves of the hilt are all but flush once inserted into the clamp ring. The original flash tubes weren't precision machined, they were hand made, so there is a slight bit of play even when the clamp is installed. I learned this the hard way when I added set screws, lol.
    Last edited by girot; 01-04-2016 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by girot View Post
    Keep in mind these numbers fluctuate depending on where you take the measurements, how old the parts are, and how corroded they've become. Also they aren't always perfectly round. Mine, for example, is just slightly oblong, lol.

Upper Hilt
    1.49" OD
    1.39" ID
    4.46" L (clamp to bottom of shrowd)
    5.93" L (overal)
    0.1" thickness

Lower Hilt
    1.49" OD
    1.39" ID
    4.64" L (overal length)
    0.1" thickness

Clamp
    1.57" OD
    1.49" ID
    0." Thick
    2.02" L (overal)
    *Praises dimensions*
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.

ELECTRONICS
    After a lot of tinkering, hair pulling, and force choking I finally got my accents wired up:
    • Battery On LED, Red
    • Sweeping Display LEDs, Green x3

VIDEO UPDATE?
    I've learned A LOT putting in the accent LEDs. Thursday or Saturday this week I'll be putting up a video going over how I did the accent LEDs, initial wiring of the crystal chamber LED, and general lessons learned from working with the PRIZM.

!!ATTN FELLOW PADAWANS!!
    If there are ANY questions you have about working with the PRIZM sound module post them now! I will answer anything I can in this weekend's video. I may not be an expert but I've learned a TON about the PRIZM so far and would love to help those who need it.

Difficulties wiring a crystal chamber LED to match the blade? (Don't know if you actually did that but thoughts...)

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverDark View Post
    Difficulties wiring a crystal chamber LED to match the blade? (Don't know if you actually did that but thoughts...)
    Nothing yet. All of my resistors are in but still waiting for the last two (most important) components: the CC LED and the new blade LEDs. I am going to thoroughly bench test EVERYTHING before I even think about stuffing it all back into the hilt.

Following with anticipation of the final product.
    It's looking awesome so far, thanks for sharing your process!

Quote Originally Posted by Zwilliamo View Post
    Following with anticipation of the final product.
    It's looking awesome so far, thanks for sharing your process!
    Thanks! Normally I'm not a fan of WIP threads but for something like this, where there is a lot of waiting between steps, there has been plenty of time to document and share.

HILT WRAP
    Well, the faux snake skin wrap I ordered (from Korea) finally showed up. It's actually really nice but waaay too wide for wrapping such a small length. It's also not leather at all but a textured fabric. I'm either going to have to find something else or cut the ribbon I have down to a more effective width. Before I do that though I am going to hit up the fabric store and see if I can find something more in line with what I had envisioned in the first place.

NO Q&A VIDEO
    Sadly, there was virtually no interest in the Q&A video. I will instead go ahead with a brief "lessons learned" section of the next update as planned.

PROGRESS!!

Oh, since finishing the video I completed the 9-pin plug install. I'll showcase it later once I get it all wired up (still waiting on the RGrB star to ship).
    Last edited by girot; 01-24-2016 at 03:12 PM.