Thread: how to get: Silver color

Question how to get: Silver color

Hi all, any ideas on how i can get a silver color for my MHS lightsaber?

1. From what i read one way to get silver is using a white led that has a little bit blue which gives the silver look. I'm assuming this is a cool white color and I think the ones sold by TCSS are warm white (single or tri). I'm not sure correct me if i'm wrong.

2. Is it possible to get a tri led with two (cool?) whites and one yellow for example. So that i can keep the white as blade color and another as FoC. Or all three white because currently the ones in the shop have one white (for Foc im guessing)

Thanks!

Some background info: I'ts for my yet to order MHS saber powered by 3 AA (1.5v) or 3AAA (1.5v) batteries (readily available everywhere here and no charging), a 1 led or 3 led (silver or maybe blue or lime green), nano biscotte v2 sound board (maybe from plector labs, but it seems they won't get any in stock soon (maybe a little) compared to TCSS which will be the main base) and maybe a power extender for Foc. But everytime i want to order things are not in stock and when they are other things aren't lol. Im a EU customer and a second shipping for let's say the transparent mirrored blade tip means around the $50 shipping costs unfortunately

(Lime green might also be an option, i might create a topic for examples since i haven't found any pics yet)

EDIT: sorry if i posted this in the wrong section. Please replace. seeing other questions and reading many threads from different sections i forgot that this was only for pictures
    Last edited by was; 11-21-2015 at 01:04 PM.

Welcome to the Forums.

Silver is obtained by mixing Blue and White. You could get almost anything you want by making and ordering a custom Tri-Cree. 3AAA's won't have enough power to run more than a single LED, and even then, only for a short amount of time.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Hello there, welcome to the forums. May I suggest you investigate JQ Sabers. They are based in the UK and they ship to Europe, quite possibly for less than shipping from US. Just a thought

Lime green is a cool color. Here are a some pics of my lime saber. It's just a single LED in there. Very bright though.

Next to standard green

Glam

This one probably shows the true color best. It's a pretty yellowy green. You can compare the blade to the green LED on the pommel.

Hopefully that helps.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Welcome to the Forums.

Silver is obtained by mixing Blue and White. You could get almost anything you want by making and ordering a custom Tri-Cree. 3AAA's won't have enough power to run more than a single LED, and even then, only for a short amount of time.
    Thanks. Mixing is no option for me so i'll go with another color or just white. Good to know about the batteries i wanted tu use AA but the one with with speaker mount was for AAA. hmm maybe i should get a 3.7v li-ion locally then.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Hello there, welcome to the forums. May I suggest you investigate JQ Sabers. They are based in the UK and they ship to Europe, quite possibly for less than shipping from US. Just a thought
    Hey thanks. Yes i read about them before but the not listed prices kinda made me not look any further. But i think i will contact them after i have my part list complete and see if it's not more expensive overall .

Quote Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
    Lime green is a cool color. Here are a some pics of my lime saber. It's just a single LED in there. Very bright though.
    Hopefully that helps.
    Cool thanks for the pictures. i found a video on youtube (which was not easy as other colors to find) but this one seems a little between yours and the regular green:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvuH_GqMB9M&t=8m
    Do you also have a pic in daylight? and what blade do you use. I was planning on getting the trans white thick polycarbonate and the photon green maybe
    Last edited by was; 11-22-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Not much to see in a bright light photo. Just a washed out lime green. But here it is

I wouldn't advise photon with lime. It looks almost the same, just a little paler/yellowy and you'll probably get a little color differentiation between the blade and tip. Here's photon lime

Here's regular thin wall. (photos in previous post were thick wall)

Aaaaaaand here's a silver. It's blue/white I think blue was 1A and white was like .5A but I'd have to check the config file to be sure.
    ERUDITION

Nice thanks for the pictures and info. The bright light foto color looks less but it's good. And silver also looks really cool! but i'm going with the nano biscotte v2 so no mixing for me.

You can just resistor the white to get the silver color on your NB.

This might help if you haven't seen it
    ERUDITION

Oh I only saw the title somewhere when exploring the forum but never thought it would be without an extra board so I never clicked it...
    I'm going for this way of mixing then I will use a RGB to get the most diversity of colors. Not sure if i can get the right silver though but will have plenty other options available.

Using clips on the wires with different resistors should even make it much easy to change colour's if necessary by swapping resistors. And i thought i had seen a potentiometer somewhere i could also use that together with a voltmeter to know what resistor i need (but im not really planning to do much with my lightsaber, initially i wanted to go for a one color without sound but seeing that the NB2 is $50, I thought lets add it while im at it, it will also lower the pain of the shipping cost ) unless i order from js sabers, who i still need to contact when having more time for my part list.

Do you perhaps know if there exists a topic where people share there resistor ratings/setups for certain colors? i couldn't find one, maybe i should start one, would make it easy for everyone. This online tool for color mixing is handy for getting a raw indication of how much of what color is needed for a certain (RGB) color (without blade).
    Last edited by was; 11-24-2015 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by was View Post
    Do you perhaps know if there exists a topic where people share there resistor ratings/setups for certain colors? i couldn't find one, maybe i should start one, would make it easy for everyone. This online tool for color mixing is handy for getting a raw indication of how much of what color is needed for a certain (RGB) color (without blade).
    I have an XL spreadsheet that I use to track all my resistor values for my builds. I have several different pages on the spreadsheet. One page is just Single LED builds using different power supply options (3v, 3.7v, 6v, 7.4v and 9v). I also started a page where I am tracking the results of manual color mixing (changing resistor values). Resistors (the ones that TCSS doesn't stock) I get from Digi-key. I have also recently reviewed Madcow's video on color mixing and Rob was recommending .5 Ohm to 6 Ohm with either 3 or 5 Watt power ratings.