Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crystal focus short?

Default Crystal focus short?

So I've been soldering my crystal focus recently and I think I may have broken it. When I put in the batteries (essentially pulling the kill key) all seems to work fine but after I hit the activation switch it works like normal for a few seconds then it just shuts down, and I have to wait about 1-2 mins before it works again. I think it may have started when I was testing a new switch. I had the board going testing what switch pads worked and which ones didn't, I accidentally touched the + and - activation switch wires together. Any idea what this problem is, or how i should fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by rlh14 View Post
    So I've been soldering my crystal focus recently and I think I may have broken it. When I put in the batteries (essentially pulling the kill key) all seems to work fine but after I hit the activation switch it works like normal for a few seconds then it just shuts down, and I have to wait about 1-2 mins before it works again. I think it may have started when I was testing a new switch. I had the board going testing what switch pads worked and which ones didn't, I accidentally touched the + and - activation switch wires together. Any idea what this problem is, or how i should fix it?
    Did you have the SD card in at the time?
    Do you have the SD card set for the type of switch you are using?
    Was the battery connected while this soldering was going on?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

yes the SD card was in. I had another momentary switch that worked before this was going on. yes the battery was connected. I wasn't soldering it I was just touching the switch wires to see what worked.

OK. I would try your old switch again and if everything works, then you should be ok. Usually "touching wires" isn't the greatest way to check things. solder the connections and then check it out.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

I reconnected the old switch and still no luck. should I try and get a new SD card from the shop? Would that help?

If you backed up the first one, I would try reformatting and reloading that one first.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

no I didn't back it up. lol that was a mistake XD. does it matter if i have the aux switch wired on?

Quote Originally Posted by rlh14 View Post
    no I didn't back it up. lol that was a mistake XD. does it matter if i have the aux switch wired on?
    You could always move that one to the activation switch and see what happens. FYI, you should NOT solder while the SD card is inserted in the board, or while the battery is connected.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

ok thanks i"ll tinker with it some.

what type of batteries are you using, and are they fully charged?

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.