Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Questions on retention screws (numbering and placement)

Default Questions on retention screws (numbering and placement)

In my prospective build, I'm looking at using blade holder style 18 and have two questions.

First, how many retention screws do you recommend? I don't plan on sparring with it, but I'd like to be ready if I change my mind.

Second, where would you place them on that particular blade holder?

Thanks!

One 8/32 set screw would make it quite secure for dueling. I haven't actually ever seen someone use two set screws.

As for the screw placement, it is generally a good idea to have the set screw as close to the end of the emitter as possible so that there is a good amount of blade trapped in the emitter below the set screw, if that makes sense. That being said, you really are going to have to wail on that thing to get the blade to come out once the set screw is tight so I would say putting one in the thickest part of the blade holder just above the threads would suffice, but I am sure Tim could also hide one in the smaller ribbed section. Your choice.

Also I will say that I have a BH18 and it is a VERY nice choice. It's one of my favorites.

I have BH18 on one of my sabers; the retention screw is placed in the middle of the ribbed section and works perfectly.

I've used bh18 before. just one screw is sufficient on any bh. I place mine square in the middle of the grooved section like sgcdialler suggested

Right, you should only ever use ONE retention screw. The way it works is the screw compresses a single point on the blade, creating a very tight pressure fit against the rest of the inside of the blade holder. Using more screws than that severely weakens this joint, and creates more stresses on the end of the blade that can permanently damage the tube.

I liked the aesthetics of the little grooved portion so I've put a retention screw right in the wider section below the grooved section. A little further back than you would normally put a retention screw but I think it'll be fine, especially for a show piece.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

My main saber has the retention screw in the same place as Miraluka and it's working like a charm since more than 3 years of heavy sparring at the academy.

I normally prefer to place the retention screws on the wider sections of the blade holders in order to maximize the number of threads.
    I saw far too many threads damaged by wiggling blades to put my trust in short retention screws.
    Being in Europe we use 25mm blades beacuse they are easier to source, if the user is not wise enough to put some padding on the blade (normally paper tape) the result is a wiggling blade that hit after hit is going to push the retention screw out damaging the threads.

Only two times I had to rely on a pair of retention screws, but in those cases the sabers were using blade holder 17 where there is very little portion of blade inside the holder to be safe for heavy dueling, and only after the owner complained about an unstable blade.

Adding to this.

Which length set screw would you recommend for BH24?