Thread: Bare NB MHS Build Parts List

Default Bare NB MHS Build Parts List

Hello Everyone,

Need some help reviewing the basic parts list for a for a NB powered MHS saber. This should include all wires, shrink tube, screws, resistors etc. Basically all the electronics, just not actual body parts (Pommel, Body, Choke, Blade Holder, Blade).

1. Rebel Star LED & MHSV1 Heatsink Module
    2. Switchcraft 2.1mm Power Jack
    3. Canadian Panasonic Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 3400mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery (yep, Canadian)
    4. 3.7V Li-ion smart charger with 2.1mm plug
    5. MWS Short Momentary 16mm AV Switch - Nickel
    6. MPS Clip
    7. NB V2 MWS Header and Wiring Harness
    8. MHS speaker mount V6 - For 28mm Speakers
    9. Premium 28mm Speaker
    10. Nano Biscotte Sound Module V2
    11. Which blade retention screw?
    12. Which wire, quantity?
    13. Which shrink wrap, quantity?
    14. Do I need a resistor?
    15. What else have I missed?

Looks good, but the Nano Biscotte wiring harness doesn't work with the V6 speaker mount unless you wire it differently than intended. Watch Madcow's videos "wiring a basic saber with sound parts 1 and 2" found int the Informational and Tutorial Videos section of the forums.

The blade retention screw will depend on how thick your blade holder is. 24 or 26 gauge wire is fine (both sold in the store). How much? A couple of feet would do, but get more than you need. If you make a mistake, you'll have extra. A foot of each size shrink wrap is more than enough (for a few builds at least).

You will need a resistor. What size will depend on battery voltage and the forward voltage of your LED. FJK left a tutorial on calculating resistors around here somewhere. The down and dirty guide to Ohm's law.

Get whichever retention screw you like best. If you get a thumb screw and it's too long, you can shorten it until it sits flush or just let it stick out. Whichever you prefer.

I use the 26 gauge wire from the store and I prefer to buy the full spools rather than getting it by the foot. Makes it easier to keep track of. If you get several colors, it will make your wiring easier to follow but you can get by pretty easily with 2 colors.

For shrink wrap, I'd get 1/8" and 1/16". 1/16" will fit nicely over the 26 gauge wire, I use the 1/8" for junctions of more than 1 wire where 1/16" won't fit. Buying 2' of both would be much more than enough. It's pretty cheap and it's much better to have extra than to run out.

Generic Jedi covered the resistor bit.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.