Thread: First time builder here! Hoping to build an LED lightsabre but need some tips!

Default First time builder here! Hoping to build an LED lightsabre but need some tips!

So I'm incredibly new to all this and have been reading and scouring the forums for tips and guides (very helpful stuff!) and would just want to clarify some information here.

I hope to build an orange LED lightsaber with a battle ready corbin style blade. However, does this allow the lightsabre to ignite from the hilt to the tip, or is it instantaneous?

I have chosen and 'built' a sabre hilt in MHS Builder, do these parts still need drilling and tapping? As I don't have much access (or skills) to and with these tools and practices.

In MHS Builder I have a:
    - Hilt Style 2 drilled for 12 AV Switch
    - MHS Ribbed Extension V-GRoove
    - MPS Pommel Style 8
    - AV Switch Short (What's the difference?)
    - LED Blade Holder style 17
    - Activation box style 1

And to my knowledge, I will need to buy an LED for the bottom of the blade and a choice of drivers. I'd like to get the PC of course, however folk have advised that it is difficult for a beginner, how bad is it? I do have experience with a soldering iron, but my fallback choice is the driver board.

If i'm not wrong, I'm missing:
    - LED
    - LED Heat sink
    - LED Lens
    - Heatshrink wrap for inside the hilt(?)
    - Battery pack (and batteries)
    - Resistor
    - Corbin Battleblade

Can all these be purchased from the TCSS? And I'm unsure of how much ampage/voltage and resistors I need as I'm not so well versed in this.

Thank you in advance! I hope to build this as soon as possible and I'm very excited for it!

Hi, KreissV,
    If you picked all the items from TCSS website than all of them can be purchased from TCSS website.
    For the hilt, you will need to drill and tap holes for blade screws to hold the blade and holes for Covertec if you are going to "wear" them on your belt.
    You will need to learn how to solder; or you can purchase them from TCSS website, and TCSS will drill/tap and solder for you for a price.
    For the voltage and resistors I just use 7.4V batteries and 1000ma 4wire buckpack.
    For the Heatsrink, they insulate wires, you do not need them to wrap the inside saber guts.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tsaiphil View Post
    Hi, KreissV,
    If you picked all the items from TCSS website than all of them can be purchased from TCSS website.
    For the hilt, you will need to drill and tap holes for blade screws to hold the blade and holes for Covertec if you are going to "wear" them on your belt.
    You will need to learn how to solder; or you can purchase them from TCSS website, and TCSS will drill/tap and solder for you for a price.
    For the voltage and resistors I just use 7.4V batteries and 1000ma 4wire buckpack.
    For the Heatsrink, they insulate wires, you do not need them to wrap the inside saber guts.

Good luck!
    If I have the TCSS drill the holes for me, that would remove any need for me to do it myself yes? I can solder, so I'm not so worried about that. Will I need any specific tool for the Heatshrink?

Yes, that is correct.
    See link below for "services"
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Services-C50.aspx
    For the heatshrink no, you do not need any tools.
    See link below for details,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat-shrink_tubing