Thread: Philmore switch forward voltage?

Default Philmore switch forward voltage?

Hi,

I'm modding a saber and adding an Obi Wan Bladebuilders soundboard. I picked up a Philmore momentary switch for it and I'm trying to figure out the forward voltage and current to plug into the the calculator to see if a resistor is required - I do have a 150 ohm one handy as I was hoping to get a blue AV switch. I've posted the specs of the switch below - it looks like it can handle a lot of voltage but the operating voltage is 3v. Would I need a resistor in this case?

It's being powered by a 4 AAA battery pack - will also be using a 5v regulator to the board.

12200875_10203867113758690_1899014960_n.jpg

Thanks for all the knowledge on this forum, I've been reading a lot and it's very helpful.
    Last edited by Crims; 11-05-2015 at 04:58 PM.

From what I read, those sabers use 3xAA batteries. Why use 4xAA and a 5v regulator when you could just run with 3xAA and a dummy cell or wire? According to the info I was able to find on the switch, that LED actually runs at 2.0v-2.6v at 20mA. The resistor would depend on what voltage you end up going with and where it's being powered from (board, battery, etc).

(4.5 - 2.6) / .02 = 95 = ~100ohm resistor.

Here's my favorite calculator: http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

I'm actually using another LED, hence why the 6v. That's just the info I needed though! Using the same calculator you linked. Thanks!