Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Defector by RobotCamel

Default Defector by RobotCamel

Hello all.

I'm a little late getting this up, but I've been a bit busy lately. Anyway, here is a more in-depth look at my saber Defector, from the 2015 Saber Contest. Thanks to TCSS and FJK for hosting this contest which helped motivate me to finish this thing . And thanks to everyone who voted for me - only missed 3rd place by one vote! This is just my second MHS saber, so its nice to know I did at least somewhat of a decent job. Its really a testament to quality and variety of TCSS products and the saber community's ability to "pass on what [they] have learned".

The design of this saber is intended to fall somewhere between Jedi and Sith. I picture it to belong to someone who was once in the Jedi order but has since defected, though they are not really a Sith. Hence the name Defector. I wouldn't normally name a saber, but the contest seemed to call for it, and I didn't know if it was optional.

I based the design off an old PVC lightsaber I made like 10 years ago. It had the same kind of 45 degree recessed grooves. The rubber grip part in the middle is inspired by the grip part of Dooku's saber, which I've always liked. I also decided to go with an RGB LED for color changing capabilities because I wanted the added challenge (my first saber was just a dedicated blue). But, also because the saber 'belongs' to someone between Jedi and Sith, I wanted the option to go red or go blue or green or whatever.

Specs:
    Petit Crouton V3.5
    Petit Crouton V3 Color Xtender
    Red/Green/Royal Blue Cree XP-E2 CopperNova
    Premium 28mm Speaker
    7.4v Li-ion 2600mAh 18650 Battery Pack

Finished 'Glamour Shots':

Closer up detail shots:

Various wiring/chassis shots:

A few WIP shots:

Component Breakdown:
    I've also compiled a PDF that shows (mostly) all the pieces that were used, some small notes about the work done and links to the product pages on TCSS. I figure it might help someone who is new and trying to figure out which pieces is which or how something was made. Not comprehensive by any means, but there's only so much time in the day.

Thanks again!

I liked your saber a lot. A lot of good shroud work and I loved the rubber and shroud section in the middle of the hilt. And just enough color to accent it.

This might not have been the winner, but this was definitely my favorite of the contest. This looks like it could have come directly from the universe. Great, great job.

I really like this saber. It does look like it came right out of the movies. The shroud and rubber section are cool. I like all the little details, the screen under the slots, to the weathering. Good job.

nice work

I love the shroud work you did on this saber! It has a smooth flow to it. It does look like it could have been used in the films. Excellent work for your second build!

Awesome job! Would you mind sharing what rubber you used? I'm working on a saber design right now and I'm looking at adding some custom rubber grips.
    "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"

I really liked this one, especially with all the overlapping elements and the angled grooves. This is definitely one to be proud of!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Looks fantastic.

I really like the design of this. The geometry of the shoud work is stunning. It did remind me of dooku when I saw it.
    Nice work RobotCamel