Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cire's Antikva

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Default Cire's Antikva

Took a while for me to have enough time to get this post together, but anyways, here it is:

So Antikva was my entry into the contest, turns out it was the only entry in the non-mhs category, so FJK was gracious enough to loop the two contests together so mine could still compete!

This saber was inspired by my years antiquing with my grandmother, and so in trying to name it i put the word "antique" through google translate until i liked one of the translations lol. It was meant took like an ancient saber, designed way back in the day. Going with this theme, i decided against either a covertec or a d-ring in favor of a more unique system with a cap that is attached directly to the belt with a chain.

I actually created this as a secret wedding gift for my fiance, so its been being hidden random places around my place since it started and will hopefully stay hidden til the wedding! Anyway, because its for her i engraved her name in the bottom in the sith letters, using the dremel flex attachment. Since the pommel is solid to accommodate the engraving, i did reverse sound placing the mini speaker in the middle of the saber, and drilling some holes in the black spaces in the center section for sound to escape.

The thing i like most about this saber though is the rotary switch i hooked up for manual color changing and the hinged access hatch i hand made to access the rotary witch and the recharge port. I ground down the blade holder adapter to be able to fit a mini rare earth magnet on it, to hold the hatch closed when not being used. I used a red momentary switch opposite the hatch to tale the place of the red cabochon i removed from the area. I had previously asked my fiance in a "hypothetical" conversation what color lightsaber she would have, to which she came to no definitive conclusion, prompting me to make this with a color switch option. I was able to trick her into picking her favorite shade of purple (or in her case more pinkish) by tinkering with the resistances of the tri-rebel in her presence and off-handedly asking her what shade she liked best for this new saber i was working on. After she picked one, i noted the resistance of the pot and was able to duplicate it with the appropriate resistor, the rest of the colors pretty much fell into place after the ever-picky purple. Unfortunately i wasn't able to get any wiring pictures during construction as i was more concerned with keeping the secret up, but anyways, here are the pictures i was able to get during my brief photo shoot with it, one more time.

Antikva Specs:
    NB v2
    Luxeon Tri-Rebel RGrB
    20mm speaker
    Red Momentary Switch
    Rotary Switch for Manual Color Selection

Blog Entries

This is a really cool saber. Very unique and elaborate. Great job.

I'll be very honest here, it was a toss up between this and Masmani Flor for second place in my book. I was stunned that this didn't place in the top three. I thought you did a fantastic job with this.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I'm still completely stunned this didn't win. Definitely had my vote.

This is a really cool saber. It does look like something you would find buried in the back of some antique shop under piles of old books or something. It looks ancient. I like the color changing with the NB.

Great job on this saber! Accessing the internals through that hatch is awesome!

very beautiful work.

I love this saber, it had my vote in Group B. The holster-cap is very inventive.

I really struggled between voting for this one and the one I did vote for. I really appreciate the detail work of this saber. It obviously took a lot of time and thought.

Like FJK, I'm surprised this didn't place higher - it's so beautifully done. Looks like one deadly antique!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------