Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First build, pvc saber

Default First build, pvc saber

Hello,
    I'm going to be building a pvc saber soon, and just wanted to get my parts checked out to make sure I didn't forget anything.

I'm just posting a list of my electronics and hardware, because the hilt will be all pvc.

Electronics
    Rebel Star Deep Red
    thermal tape
    lens holder
    lens
    3/4 copper end cap for heatsink
    2AA battery pack
    standard latching switch
    micropuck (350mA output, takes as little as .8 volts)

Hardware
    Set screw for blade
    Trans white polycarbonate tube
    trans white round tip
    clear gift wrap

Am I missing anything from the electronics? Also, would it be better to get a colored blade, or will trans white work best?
    Thank you!

Maybe go with the clear tube and quad wrap blade film for diffusing the light
    I just feel like a colored blade makes it look more like a toy

from my understanding, you'll need a buckpuck closer to 700mA as thats what the rebel runs at

Welcome to the Forums.

You will need at least a 5V power source to run a BuckPuck (which requires at least 5V to run).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Okay, so you think the clear blade with the cellophane will look better than the transwhite? Also, the reason I was planning on getting a 350mA micropuck is because that's what Jay-Gon used in his tutorial, so will that not work?

The micropuck I was looking at (that I believe is what Jay-Gon used) only needs a minimum of .8V.

Quote Originally Posted by RikuHaruno View Post
    Okay, so you think the clear blade with the cellophane will look better than the transwhite? Also, the reason I was planning on getting a 350mA micropuck is because that's what Jay-Gon used in his tutorial, so will that not work?

The micropuck I was looking at (that I believe is what Jay-Gon used) only needs a minimum of .8V.
    If you use a micropuck, the LED won't be very bright.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Dang, that sucks. So should I look at getting another 2AA holder and wiring the two in series, and then getting a normal buckpuck?
    Edit: I see that the 4AA battery holder would fit in the saber, so that would give me 6V input, and that would be enough to run the buckpuck, correct?
    Last edited by RikuHaruno; 11-01-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Correct. Or you can use a single Li-ion battery and a resistor, which might last a lot longer.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Hmm, that's a nice option, because the ability to recharge it would be sweet. What kind of battery/resistor combo would you recommend?
    Edit: By Ohm's Law, If I got a 3.7V battery, I would need a 2 Ohm, 1W resistor, and if I used a 7.4V battery, I would need about a 7 Ohm, 3.5W resistor. Is this correct? And is there any benefit to running off the 7.4 packs versus the 3.7? It seems like they have similar mAh.
    Last edited by RikuHaruno; 11-01-2015 at 06:53 PM.

The value of the resistor you'll need is based on the voltage of your batteries, the forward voltage of the LED you use, and the curent you want to run the LED at.

If you use a 7.4 volt pack, you could use a buckpuck instead of a resistor.

Yes, so with a deep red rebel star, 2.4V @700mA, I believe those calculations are correct. Just wanted to get them checked haha.