Thread: 12 watt leds with nano biscotti or ultimate fx?

Smile 12 watt leds with nano biscotti or ultimate fx?

Is there a way to wire up these cree xbd- 4 12w leds with a nano biscotti or ultimate fx? I've tried both with 7.4v li-ion batteries and transistors with 5v resistors with no luck. I got it to fire up for a couple of seconds but then it would shut off. How do I fire up these leds? Do I need a more powerful soundcard? Or do I need more batteries, like 14.8v? Is there a good wiring diagram somewhere? I really want my saber to be super bright as possible. Any advise will be great . Thanks

Well, I can't really speak for those LEDs per se, I vaguely remember hearing about them a while back, but I don't remember their specs offhand. The NB can only handle 5.5V MAX, and if you want a really bright blade, Tri-Crees are the way to go. I think you'll also find that trying to cram 14.8V batteries into a hilt will be a very daunting task.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks forgetful jedi. It is daunting trying to cram 14.8v into my hilt. It's been something I've been trying for a while now. I thought it would work if I just used a voltage regulator for the sound card and used the rest of the juice for the leds. But that didn't work. The resistor got pretty hot and it wouldn't stay on for more than a couple seconds. Now I'm thinking of using a petite crouton with 7.4v and the tri cree led. Thanks for the advice!