Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Primus & Certus

Default Primus & Certus

The pair of sibling sabers I conceived back in April are finally complete. I decided not to submit them to the contest, so now I can share them with all of you without feeling the pressure of competition!

Both sabers feature the full range of blade colors afforded by their RGrB LEDs, driven by Plecter Labs' Petit Crouton 3.5 plus Color EXtender. Both feature blade-matching custom crystal chambers made entirely from brass stock, as well as custom internal frameworks machined from 6/6 nylon. All six soundbanks supported by the PC3.5 have been filled with fonts from SaberFont.com from several different authors.

Primus
    Measuring 14 3/8" long, Primus' solid weight is obviously geared towards a two-handed style. It's subtle brass accents offset the plain brushed aluminum giving it a paradigm-defyingly simple style. Though it looks unwieldy, its balance at the emitter (with the blade attached) makes it surprisingly easy to handle. The brass activation switch sits below the auxiliary switch, placing the auxiliary in a convenient position for use with a pinky finger or palm. Directly opposite the interface plate sits TCSS's 10-led battery level indicator, buried safely inside the hilt beneath a plastic protective cover.

Certus
    Measuring 14 1/8" long, not much shorter than its sibling, Certus is lighter, and faster to the cut. The brass wrap on the emitter symbolize its relation to Primus, but everything else sets it apart as a completely separate entity. Featuring a ribbed upper grip painted flat black and a custom leather-lace wrap, Certus strikes a much more familiar tone. It's light, with a balance-point slightly above the emitter, making it great for quick aggressive dueling.

Siblings

Nice job! I like how smooth Primus looks. I like to have my aux switch above my activation switch too.

looks good! interesting layout!

I'd like a better look at the crystal chambers.

In the final photo, Primus' chamber is on the left, Certus' on the right.

Those are great looking. Where did you get the brass end pieces?

I made them on a lathe

Nice looking pair. I like the way the leather wrap incorporates the switch box.
    Would a lightsaber switchblade be redundant?

Quote Originally Posted by sgcdialler View Post
    I made them on a lathe
    Dang it, I don't have a lathe!

beautiful lathe work! Your crystal chambers are amazing to look at.