Thread: First build. (super simple saber)

ACon_Artist

Default First build. (super simple saber)

Hello everyone, I have been searching high and low for a custom saber and one day I came across this site. I'm super glad I did.
    Now I am attempting my first saber build and I am trying to keep it as simple as possible and in a way that I can add to it later, but I have a few questions..

so far this is my parts list

for the hilt:
    hilt style2
    blade holder style 4
    pommel style 3 v1
    pommel insert style 11 (so I can put my button on the end)
    SaberBuilder_render.jpg
    this hilt comes out to 9.75in is that too short?

electronics:
    Rebel Star LED & MHSV1 Heatsink Module
    BuckPuck 1000mA 4-wire
    4AA Battery holder

latching switch I ordered on amazon a while ago.

I have 1.5in inside diameter copper pipe scraps I was planning on making a shroud with. Will this work?
    Also has anyone had any luck with plastidip? I kind of want a grippy hilt so I was wondering what kind of options I have there.
    The last question I had was with wiring, does anyone use any crimp connectors? Just wondering because I am an electrician, and on small electronics at work we often use crimp connections.
    Thanks! Any help is much appreciated
    Last edited by ACon_Artist; 10-28-2015 at 01:55 PM.

Hello there, welcome to the party. The average length is generally 11" to 13" but for a 'simple' stunt saber it's plenty long enough.
    The copper pipe should be ok, it maybe a tiny bit loose around the hilt but there are ways solve that (screws/tape/cutting etc).
    I'm not aware of anyone using crimps (as opposed to soldering?) mainly down to space issues, but TCSS sell pre-wired parts with JST connectors.
    For 'grippy' you can wrap in leather or other fabrics, maybe use sports tape. I believe that Tim offers a service for knurling. My first saber has a sleeve, which I etched and painted. It is nice a grippy
    Hope this is of some help. Good luck with your build and MTFBWY

ACon_Artist

Thanks for the info. The only reason i was wondering about crimp connectors is because the kind we use have a male and female end and it would make it easier for me to add peices later. Also as far as the plasti dip goes I guess with that I was just wondering because i only want to use it in certain areas to make black grips. Ill experiment with it though. I will definately be looking into the JST connectors

Just beware... JST connectors eat up your interior space very quickly. You'll probably have plenty of room right now but if you upgrade to sound, I bet you'd probably be removing the JSTs anyways. You could keep connectors on the LED in case you want to switch out the module, though.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.