Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snilam's Frankenflex

Quote Originally Posted by JakeSoft View Post
    I love this one. Voted for it in the first round and flipped a coin in the second. It's beautiful how sleek it is.

What did you use for the crystal? The more spherical shape is an interesting and attractive alternative to the quartz and acrylic shards we usually see.
    I went through so many crystal trying to find the right one. quartz, artificial quartz, acrylic, crystals with long names I can't pronounce let alone spell. There was originally a ball with all these cracks in it and was cloudy that looked really interesting that I was going to use but when I went to drill a hole for the led to seat into, what I thought was a plastic ball was really a glass ball that exploded. but anyway I settled on that acrylic bucky ball thing that was in a bag or random Acrylic "gems"

Quote Originally Posted by sks1138 View Post
    Nice saber. I like the crystal chamber. Sounds like you get the full dynamic range of the sounds fonts with the dual speakers.
    exactly why I did it! I really wasn't doing it for the loudness factor it is just that I always found either speaker lacking. now each of their stengths compliments the other's weakness. Its by far the best sounding saber I've made. Also it get the full power out of the CF being at 4 ohms with the speakers in parrallel. So yes it is also much louder without distortion.

The two speakers and ball gem make a really beautiful chamber. I also like how sleek this looks. Great name too.

Force Aware

I loved the weathering job. It almost made me think of a saber that was cared for, but definitely saw combat. To be honest, I fell in love with that crystal chamber at first glance. I'm not sure what it is exactly that seems so attractive to me, but nonetheless you did a fine job on this saber.

Blog Entries

Very nice. I like the subtle weathering.

That's awesome! How did you do the weathering? I really like it.
    Enemies are not accidental or unfortunate. We make them, we earn them, and we nurture them, whether we realize it or not. If we can't find real enemies, we'll invent them and make them as big as we can. They become out justification for living, or excuses for our own failings. Many of us would suffer if we didn't have them- who would need Jedi if there were no Dark Force users?

This saber is awesome! Crystal Focus, Cex, crystal chamber, and two speakers!? Your cram-fu skills are excellent.

This was my #1 choice of the entire contest. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Saber Rake View Post
    That's awesome! How did you do the weathering? I really like it.
    Its just the old flat black enamel spray paint technique. You just get some flat black enamel spray paint and some mineral spirits and an old rag. Spray down your saber let is dry for a bit, you don't have to let it completely dry or anything just not wet. Then put a little mineral spirits on a rag and start wiping it off. Just start experimenting you can't mess it up. If you don't like it just take all of it off and start over. Just think about how something would collect dirt, grime and get worn. high traffic areas would have no build up where crevices, recesses and around fasteners would get a lot. I believe there is a video tutorial from madcow as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic Jedi View Post
    This saber is awesome! Crystal Focus, Cex, crystal chamber, and two speakers!? Your cram-fu skills are excellent.
    Ya the chamber/speaker combo took a huge chunk of space. All the electronics are in the 4 inch lower section. At first I had everything in disk chassis but just was not working out and went with a pvc chassis, it freed up some working space.

Thanks for all the complements guys, I really enjoyed making this one.