Thread: Cheapy Kylo Ren Econo Board wiring check

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cheapy Kylo Ren Econo Board wiring check

Hi everyone, I recently built a lightsaber using a 2010 yoda board and I now have "the bug". I purchased the $29 Hasbro Kylo (Blade Builders) saber and ripped out the board. Unfortunately, the board is about 1.5'' wide so I may have to Macgyver the board in the pommel of my next saber. Can someone help me with this wiring diagram? I want to make sure the wiring is close enough to the other econo board diagrams. 10.26.2015_RC STILLS-103.jpgKylo-Wiring.jpg thanks in advance.

6v sounds like a sure fire way to burn out the board. Previous 4.5v economy boards burnt out at around 5.5 volts. I'd be a bit worried about throwing more than a single lithium ion at a board that originally ran on only 3v.

Take this for what it's worth, but I'm running the Luke Skywalker version (runs on 4.5 V stock) on 6 volts and it hasn't blown up yet.

I'm not too worried about the voltage since the other hasbro diagram thread says 3-6v. Does the diagram look sound though?

EDIT: By the way, the sound is amazing if you give it enough tube to resonate. I think ill invest in a bass speaker for this build.

With some help from the ask electronics reddit, I rewired the saber. This time I used an N Mosfet transistor and its working beautifully. I can now light the main LED with the first activation sound and the crossguard LEDs light up with the secondary activation sound. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVz2Ni6VLo0

The board was wired up to a 28mm bass speaker and it sounds so fantastic. This will all be fit into a Heiland two cell to make a shoto Vader/Kylo hybrid saber. I can post the new wiring diagram if anyone is interested. Thanks for looking!

That's amazing and just the information I'd been looking for. I'd love to get a look at your wiring diagram if that's alright.

Where exactly did you solder the switch on the board because the original switch on the saber was a push button? A picture would be greatly appreciated!

Is the original poster still around? In the diagram you mention a bridge... Were you saying you bridge +/- with a bead?

see the latest post for a revised diagram

hi there Thanks for the information all you guys have been posting it's been really helpful for myself
    I'm fairly new to blade building and I got the Hasbro Kylo Ren aswell as my first led controller and soundboard to use in my first. I want to wire an extra battery stepping up the voltage input to 4.5v. From what I have read the board will take that. Am I able to wire my led directly to this circuit with only a resistor on the positive directly from the battery and the negative going into the board or do I need that transistor? Many thanks guys