Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ezra inspired saber build for son...sound board advice?

Quote Originally Posted by dezeni View Post
    the little man wants to learn to use the lathe and mill.
    holiday palace link
    Here he is using the Unimat. I did end up letting him use the Jet 920 for the main hilt and blade holder pieces. He also picked up on using the bridgeport fairly quick, said it was like an Etch-A-Sketch. Second photo shows the turned parts before we started on the machined parts for the blaster elements of the saber.

12244727_10204905640551727_4853228902052273871_o.jpgdd6f4237-1698-416b-bed6-5dd700023a2e.jpg

sweet... loving how this is coming together

Update: Build progress is slow as Baseball kicked in and he is now training 3-4 days a week depending on which week he has a pitching lesson. All parts are drilled and tapped, and I just finished AlumaWelding the machined pieces to the turned pieces. Also received all the blade and LED components from TCSS so when time permits we are moving forward.

IMG_0966.jpg
    Now it is down to sanding, painting and weathering the parts...then wiring everything up.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 12-17-2015 at 12:32 PM.

You're posting a demo video when you're finished, right?

If your refering to the AlumaWeld it is basically aluminum soldering. It is best to hardware mount the pieces first to hold them in place. In this case they have #8 screws threaded into the turned pieces. Then it's simply a matter of heating the pieces up to 750 degrees then flowing the flux coated aluminum rod like you would to solder copper pipes together...and no I did not let the 9 yr old do it or even be near me when doing it.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 12-17-2015 at 01:39 PM.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Chassis for the blaster electronics is complete. This was by far the hardest part yet, just trying to get the three small boards, trigger, selector switch, and accent led mounted in the blaster barrel. While keeping the swing sensor oriented vertical as testing showed its performance suffered if laid on its side.

Down to sanding, painting, and wiring.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 12-21-2015 at 09:02 PM.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Well parts are painted and the main hilt portion weathered to reflect Ky Dyl's vision of his saber. Yes he now has his grey Jedi name.
    Parts are finished, photo is minus the blaster clip, last minute design and painting change. Even managed to fashion the blade plug from the $0.88 flashlight I salvaged for the battery pack. We also finished rewiring the three boards with new wires, attached the transistors, and wired up the LEDs. After some bad luck with the salvaged speaker we have acquired a new one and hope to have everything installed and working by next weekend. The only main issue besides cramming the wire is getting the rotary switch to work to switch between blaster and saber modes...directing power from the blade LEDs to the blaster and clip LEDs.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 01-02-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Looking good! Very vibrant color choice, I kinda like it haha

Build is finally finished. I would be posting a video but we ran the batteries down playing with it. I managed to get the rotary switch to work perfect. The 3 position dual post switch works as a mode switch (had it as a kill switch to but runtime issues cause me to add the blue only mode) so Dyl can switch from purplish dark sider to blue light sider to blaster mode. I assume it is normal that with the 3aaa set up he has about 7 minutes of run time with the purple 2 die set up, and then if he switched to the blue he has about 10-15 more minutes before completely dead.

Wow, that's a really short run time! Of course I've never run a AAA set up, I've always used li-on 18650's.