Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: sks1138's Masmavi Flor - 2nd Place 2015 TCSS Saber Building Contest - pic heavy

Default sks1138's Masmavi Flor - 2nd Place 2015 TCSS Saber Building Contest - pic heavy

Hello Saberland

First off I would like to thank everyone who voted for my saber. It feels good to get a little recognition for the hard work I put into it. Congrats to Batosai with Gieheizan for winning 1st place. That is an awesome saber.

And some thanks to everyone who posts useful tutorials and answers to questions. I never need to ask, all the answers are somewhere in this forum.

The saber was a build for my girlfriend. All I was told was Blue(her favorite color) and she wanted a purple FOC. The rest was left to me. She wanted to be surprised and she was. She loves her saber. The look on her face when she saw it was worth it.

I've been planning this saber for over a year ever since I bought 2 NBv2. One for me one for her. I got my saber done last year, and wanted to get hers done by Christmas of last year, but the funds were a bit lacking.
    This year though I started buying parts. I think the most expensive thing on the saber was the shipping from the many orders I made. With Tim's move and stock shortages it was a challenge getting some of the parts. I finally got the saber done a week before the due date of the contest.

A little bit about the design

I don't normally feel inclined to name my sabers, but I did for the contest.
    Masmavi Flor is Azure Flower. Masmavi is Turkish for Azure and Flor is Spanish for Flower. It fits with my Spanish girlfriend and Masmavi has part of her name.

The blade holder shroud design is offset from the rest of the saber, but when viewed straight on you see a complete rounded shape. It started out as a Celtic knot design but morphed into the vine pattern, with the little flowers that is carried out in the rest of the saber. Tim machined the speaker grill for me. He does good work.
    The back shroud design is the flower motif folded up around the hilt with the vine pattern and my girlfriends initials.
    Of course the blue powder coat(Hot Candy Blue) and Trans Gold. The rest if testors model paint. The blue matches a little better than the gold. OK enough reading.

The Particulars

NBv2 with PEx
    rB/rB/R Tri-Cree
    Royal Blue main blade with Purple-ish FOC
    Purple ring AV Switch
    Customized Kill plug
    Acid etching
    Purple Swarovski crystal gem stones(fancy huh?)
    Sound fonts - Madcow's Jaina Sword of the Jedi and Swarm by Origin
    Premium speaker(this saber is really loud)
    Custom Boot sound on Jaina SOTJ
    Lots of Dremel-fu and some Cram-fu
    Custom made box

Now the pics

Thanks everyone for looking. Enjoy and MTFBWY

I liked this saber a lot. Though I didn't vote in the final round, this was my "Second Place" saber. I really loved the shroud work.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

You've got a very lucky girlfriend. And you're a lucky guy too, to have someone who loves Star Wars as well.

It's a really wonderful saber. All the little details just flow well together and make for a fantastic design. It was a very tough competition, but this one had my vote.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Congrats on your second place finish! Your etches are very clean and I like the shape of your bh shroud, very original. The name is very fitting. As soon as I saw it I thought of a flower. That's a great saber you have there and I'm sure your girlfriend loves it. A made from the heart gift is always better than something that is bought. Its the effort and thought that makes it special.

The etching on this really blew me away, as did the interwoven design on the pommel end shroud. Overall amazing work! Nice work with that model paint on all the recesses too.

Congradulations! Great Job!!!

I really loved this saber - such a cool, well-thought out design. Shroud work, color scheme, and etching - all of it well done and so unique.

Congrats!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

A really nice saber, it's just a bit to "flashy" for my taste.
    Your etching is really amazing and it fits the saber.

Your saber is fantastic. I'm seriously impressed with the workmanship. I voted for your saber.

This was a wonderful saber. The etching is excellent, and I spent a lot of time staring at the original pictures trying to figure out how much time you had to spend grinding away on the rear shroud to get it to do the overlap... it never occurred to me that it was just a reveal and some optical trickery. Very well done.