Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 3D files

Hi Thalan,

I did receive your message but as Forgetful Jedi Knight said, I couldn't reply so I replied to your email address (I hope that's ok, it was on the email I got).

Thanks for sharing the Dropbox link! I will have a look when I get home and I will share the results, hopefully my saber will look awesome!

Forgetful Jedi Knight, I completely understand, I don't want to tread on anybodies toes. I have downloaded the Dropbox file, if you want to edit Thalan's post so the models are not shared further I would understand. I promise it's purely for visualisation purposes, if I had wanted a 3D printed saber I'd have had one years ago. Nothing but cold, hard metal will cut it

Quote Originally Posted by Drawcut View Post
    I have a few parts modeled in Solidworks 2012. Just outside features, no threads or IDs so no real way anyone could actually machine parts from them. And many of the outside features are just an eyeball guess . Check out this thread for what I've done:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...pinions-needed

I'll be happy to share models for personal use (renders). Solidworks can export to most generic files types; .STEP or .IGES are the most common generics. Just let me know what you need. If Thalan can get you his 123D models that would probably be easiest since 123D is a free to use program and Solidworks is pretty costly. But if I can help, let me know.

PS: If Tim or any Mods have any issues with this, just say the word. Like I said above: I don't think my models are nearly complete enough to let anyone knock off TCSS's work.
    Those renders are gorgeous! Nice saber too! I'd love to take a look at those .STEP files if you're happy to share. I know I can't message yet but can other people see my email address? I promise I'm not a file whore, I haven't looked yet but Thalan has suggested that his designs are not the exhaustive list so if I have both yours and his I can import all of them to Autodesk Inventor through some wizards trickery and have a more complete library.

As I said if there are specific parts you are lookinf at using I can render them and get them to you if they weren't in what I gave already. It would give me a reason to add more to my list. And yes Solidworks stuff looks amazing. I would love to get my hands on that software. But alas it isn't cheap

Well my experience with Autodesk Inventor is that I got a free 3-year subscription from their website as a Student whilst on my home network and using my gmail address. Read into that what you will.

Would it be possible for you to make a Trim Ring (1 and/or 3) and the Extension Blank Style 3? From what I've read on the forum, the trim rings are 3 mm wide and (I think) 1.6" OD, the same OD as the blank extension style 3. For the other parts I have just used your 3" female extension and pushed/pulled the top face. I'm not worried about the internal view so it doesn't matter that I will actually be using the Extension Blank Style 2 which has a smaller ID.

Thank you!

EDIT: Actually, I just realised that I can push and pull the outward faces as well so I think I should be able to make roughly these parts myself.
    Last edited by Remulos; 10-23-2015 at 11:38 AM.

From my experience with Shapeways it is possible to design your own trim rings and get it right first time, but 3D printing them is significantly more expensive than ordering from TCSS. 4x-8x for rhodium-coated brass (cheapest shiny silver option) depending on where you ship to, assuming you're ordering other TCSS parts as well, and assuming you get your 3D print right first time. If you're going to design your own you'd best customize it a whole lot to make the price worthwhile. If TCSS has what you need (considering Tim offers modification) then it is a much cheaper solution that will work first time and is aluminium, which can be easily edited further.
    Last edited by Askew Wai; 10-24-2015 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Askew Wai View Post
    From my experience with Shapeways it is possible to design your own trim rings and get it right first time, but 3D printing them is significantly more expensive than ordering from TCSS. 4x-8x depending on where you ship to, assuming you're ordering other TCSS parts as well, and assuming you get your 3D print right first time. If you're going to design your own you'd best customize it a whole lot to make the price worthwhile. If TCSS has what you need (considering Tim offers modification) then it is a much cheaper solution that will work first time.
    I am ordering all my parts from tcss, I'm just rendering it so I get an accurate sense of scale. None of the 3D models will be printed.

Hey Thalan the Exiled, could you make the Gear extension and pommel style 8 please?
    If you are not sure, ask. If you are sure, ask anyway, you may be enlightened.

I will see what I can do. The gear has been giving me issues but pommel 8 shouldn't be to bad. Give me till Monday or Tuesday and I should have both.

Thanks for all your help!

I've uploaded some initial renders in my pre-build thread:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...st-parts-list/

Quote Originally Posted by Thalan the Exiled View Post
    I will see what I can do. The gear has been giving me issues but pommel 8 shouldn't be to bad. Give me till Monday or Tuesday and I should have both.
    Let me know if you can't get the gear right. I actually design gears as part of my job so I have some specialized software for modeling them. FWIW it actually looks like a spline to me because the teeth look pretty short and wide for a typical gear.
    Would a lightsaber switchblade be redundant?