Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My first parts list

Default My first parts list

Hello Everyone, I'm new to all this and have some questions about my first build. My apologies if they've already been answered on the Forum but I couldn't find them.

Rather than list it all out, the parts list can be found here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Vi...3-38b65c9984e3

I alreay have the batteries, tactile switch and wires and I will also be doing the lathe work and drill and taps myself.

A few concerns I have so far:

1. Will the full sized heat sink (V3) fit into the MHSChokeLBlank or do I need to get a flat one?
    2. Which LED is better? Tri-Rebel or Tri-Cree or Other? Using a Petit Crouton V3.5 btw.
    3. What is the issue with speakers when putting a Trim Ring on the Pommel thread?
    4. Is there enough space between the threading on the 1.2" Double Female extension for the 8-32 x 1/4" Covetec screw?
    5. What lens do I use for the Tri-Cree? The same as the Tri-Rebel one?

SaberBuilder_render_V7_labelled.jpg

If anyone spots anything I'm missing or that wont work then please let me know!

Cheers,
    Remulos
    Last edited by Remulos; 10-21-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard.

1. Going by the internal view on the builder it looks like it just fits.
    2. Better is ambiguous so I'll say crees seem to be the more popular.
    3. This is in reference to a locking speaker mount which you do not have listed so you should be fine.
    4. My rough estimate of the unthreaded area is about .2". An 8-32 screw is around 0.164". Seems to be ok, but get a second opinion on that.
    5. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/18...Lens-P778.aspx

Assuming the fore-section is the choke blank, I don't think the you'll be able to use the tact switch ring there. The ring has an OD of 1.24" and the section you have marked has an ID of only 0.8"

Now some questions for you

What battery are you using?
    Are you planning on using the Color Extender for color mixing?
    What type of support system/chassis are you planning for your electronics?

Thanks for your comments darth_chasm, all of those answers are exactly what I was hoping to hear

Good point about the Tactile switch in the choke, I will have to think about moving it or 3D printing a bespoke frame for it. I put it up there because I don't think I will use it when weilding the saber one handed, I will use it mostly for the bolt deflection sounds and for that I'd use two hands.

I will be using 2x 18650 batteries (Protected) which I know are a bit longer but will they fit in that battery holder if I just snip the contact coil a little?
    For the time being I was just planning on using the 2A output of the Petit Crouton to power the Royal Blue LED on the Tri-Cree but eventually will hopefully upgrade to the Crystal Focus V7.5 and not need a CEx or just keep the Petit Crouton and add a CEx.
    For the chassis I am thinking of cobbling together some PVC and hot glue. Not too fancy but easily doable in time for Dec 17th.

Blog Entries

No the 18650s are too big for that holder, in both L and W. You'll need 14500s, or build a pack out of the 18650s you have (not endorsed by me), or buy one of the pre-made 18650 packs.

You would still need a CEX for true color mixing on the CF. You could always do the single cell hack, but personally I find that to be a waste of the CF.

For the chassis you'll want to think about how it is going to lock in place. The speaker holder you have is free floating, hence being able to use a trim ring on the pommel. SO that is not an option unless you switch to the locking speaker holder and ditch the trim ring. You could try to form a locking lip in the PVC but I can't advise on that as I've never done it.

Ok well some 14500s are fairly easy to source so I can get those, thanks for the heads up.

For the time being I would be happy with a nano biscotte and a buckpuck but I was going to get a Petit Crouton because it gives me the flash on clash. A CEx is quite expensive and from what I've read it seems that the Crystal Focus V7.5 can drive a tri-cree at the correct amperage and have true colour mixing. Is that correct? If so it means that I should just go ahead and get one of those as it's cheaper than a Petit Crouton + CEx.

I think the chassis is the part I am least worried about for now. Once I get it all together I can look at how to secure everything, probably some sort of PVC pipe coated in a thin layer of foam or rubber and then secured using either a set screw under the leather wrap or by getting a longer screw for the covetec knob.

The voltage requirements for the BuckPuck are near the max voltage for the Nano Biscotte, so you wouldn't want to use them together. Use resistors instead of a BuckPuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic Jedi View Post
    The voltage requirements for the BuckPuck are near the max voltage for the Nano Biscotte, so you wouldn't want to use them together. Use resistors instead of a BuckPuck.
    Sorry, I wasn't suggesting I would do that, merely pointing out that I don't need a CEx just yet as the level of functionality I'll initially be aiming for is equivalent to that of a NB+Resistor/BuckPuck.

I've just been reading over on the FX-Sabers Forum that Plecter Labs wont be selling anymore boards this year but that has partnered with TCSS to make some. One thing it didn't mention though is whether TCSS has a faster production time than him. There are no PC V3.5's in stock at the moment and if this was Plecter Labs I wouldn't expect any more to be available for a month or two (which is fair, the guy seems to give it 130%, 100% of the time) but what sort of speed can TCSS add new stock?

EDIT: I've just read the post about the stocking of the various sound boards and it looks like the PC is quite low down the list of the rollout. I think I will have to get a NB + Power Extender and use a single battery. The plus side of this is that I can kill two birds with one stone and get the V6 speaker holder and single battery holder and therefor have a more stable chassis.
    Last edited by Remulos; 10-22-2015 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remulos View Post
    For the time being I would be happy with a nano biscotte and a buckpuck but I was going to get a Petit Crouton because it gives me the flash on clash.
    The Nano Biscotte will do flash on clash. Check out the Plector Labs comparison. http://plecterlabs.com/Media/Doc/Com...ter_boards.php

What level of colour control would I get with a Nano Biscotte + Power Extender + Tri-Cree and how? I've read the Owners Manual but it isn't very clear, is it controlled by the board or does it depend on the Power Resistor used?

NB Wiring.jpg

Blog Entries

Resistors. There's a video in the video tutorials section you could check out.