Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Twig'z Adviser

Force Aware

Default Twig'z Adviser

Hello, all!
    This is the saber I built for the 2015 TCSS contest, and was also my very first sound saber! This saber had a few firsts for me.
    1) As I previously stated, I had never made a sound saber before.
    2) I have never had a rechargeable saber.
    3) I have never etched with anything that wasn't saltwater + electricity.

Specs:
    G/G/W Tri Cree
    NanoBiscotte v2 w/ FoC (Power Extender)
    Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 2600mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery Module
    2W Bass Speaker
    White LED ring momentary switch

Total Length (tip of emitter to bottom of pommel): roughly 10.5"

I wanted to etch an entire piece of MHS and I was worried that saltwater would not evenly etch a cylindrical object (unless I turned it constantly) so I used a rootkill/water solution to etch the main body. My buddy had a vynl cutter and helped me cut the design I had made from scratch.

I had other ideas for what the brass shroud was supposed to look like, but nothing in my projects ever go the way I plan them to. xD>

I was originally wanting a different color, but since green sabers are my favorite overall, I decided to go the G/G/W Tri Cree route and also use FoC. It was a blast. I had never wired something up so complicated as this before, and I am very appreciative of those who helped me with my wiring diagrams and such to be sure I didn't burn up a bunch of PCBs and destroy my project. :P> I learned a lot building this saber and I hope to make my next one soon.
    Thank you to those who voted for me in the first round! I'm thoroughly inspired by the other contestants (as I'm sure plenty of you are) to make something bigger and better the next time around.

I thought this was a pretty good saber as well. My only "critique" would be the control box. You might have been better off with either a flush mount or a short bezel.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

I really liked this saber! I love the etching, and think it goes nicely with the brass shroud!

that's a really good job on the etch especially for your first time.

Nice work on the etching. You got nice crisp lines. I want to try etching soon myself, I hope my efforts turn out as nice. I'm curious to know what kind of vynil cutter your friend has because the vynil resists look very clean.

One thing I did before building my first sound saber was practice soldering and desoldering on an old modem I had laying around. That way if I messed something up at least it wasn't an expensive sound board.

I loved this saber, and if I could have voted twice, I Certainly would have. Great job on the etching.

This was definitely worth voting for. I thought the box fit well with the hexagon-curves of the etching. It is a very simple design but has complexity in the weathering and etching. The etched areas are so black! It really looks like a piece of older equipment from the Star Wars universe with a couple of components upgraded.

The etching definitely gives lots of character to a simple design. Combined with the brass it looks excellent.
    BTW, what is rootkill??

Force Aware

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC13 View Post
    The etching definitely gives lots of character to a simple design. Combined with the brass it looks excellent.
    BTW, what is rootkill??
    Rootkill is a chemical that is usually used to clean septic pipes and whatnot of shrubs and roots. When combined with water and salt, it turns into an acid bath for etching!
    I used Rogue9607's experiences and ratios to do this saber : http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ight=root+kill