Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Copper Dragon

Default Introducing the Copper Dragon

Well, now that I've been eliminated from the contest I'd like to share my second saber Copper Dragon with all of you in saberland.

What started as a very unfinished idea using the style 3 pommel grew into an idea to make something that looked like dragon scales on a copper shroud. Buying the soundcard back in May and learning about the building contest fueled my creative process, only to be stalled when the store closed for relocation. Actually shelving the build because I was waiting for parts to become available, I thought I'd missed the deadline, only to discover it was moved back a month! Three frantic weeks of work ensued, the results are as you've already seen. Here's a bit of detail behind the build.

I started by drawing out the pattern for the scales, using a guitar pick to get their shape. Using spray on contact adhesive I applied that pattern to a piece of inch and a half copper pipe that I machined to length. After getting the end scales cut and filed to shape I hand engraved with a dremel using a flex shaft attachment.

Next came the holes in the pommel. I had a bit of a time first milling, and then drilling them out, which left a step and some really nasty looking holes. So I found a metal rod and wrapped emery cloth around it to sand them smooth. Not all that easy with a hole only a quarter inch in diameter.

And that's kind of where she sat until early September when I went looking for the contest entrants. Jumping into high gear when I learned I still had time!

So here's the dope.

Custom copper shroud work.

Switches and external recharge and RICE port in the emitter shield, heavily patinated to a blue with brushed copper accents.

Custom hand engraved dragon scaled grip section shroud patinated and brushed to an antique copper finish. All copper sealed with about 12 coats of satin polyurethane.

Pommel custom machined by myself with five 1/4 inch holes equally spaced and polished to a brushed finish.

All exposed aluminum buffed to 4000 grit using foam backed abrasive pads on a random orbital sander.

Internal Madcow style PVC chassis custom machined by myself, held in place by a hidden set screw.

Custom blade plug using spare blade material and some brass I machined and aged with a propane torch and some cutting oil.

Sound fonts are Bespin, Graymeat, Shatterpoint, Rogue, Glare and Terraform.

Prizm 3.5
    Tri Cree Red, Green, Royal Blue
    Micro domed momentary switches
    Recharge port
    RICE port
    Premium Speaker
    3.7v single cell battery pack
    RGB accent LED in pommel mirrors blade color

First a few glams

And a few build shots

Thank you to all who voted for me, I'm glad you appreciate my vision.
    Last edited by Quixotic Jedi; 10-19-2015 at 02:35 PM.

You did a good job on this saber. I wasn't too crazy about the oxidized copper, I personally think a lot less of it would have been cool.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Really a great looking saber. I love the all the copper, both the parts with the etching and the parts with the heavy patina. How did you match the accent LED color to the blade color?
    Would a lightsaber switchblade be redundant?

It's do-able with higher end boards and 5mm RGB LED.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drawcut View Post
    Really a great looking saber. I love the all the copper, both the parts with the etching and the parts with the heavy patina. How did you match the accent LED color to the blade color?
    I just followed the directions in the Prizm's user manual. There are places where you can solder the leads of the accent LED that get the signal from the board without the heavy current needed for the blade's LED. Just have to use the proper resistor and whatever color you set for the blade will be mirrored in your RGB accent LED. The maual really explains it all.

Very cool. You really nailed that Madcow style chassis. I am impressed.

It's a great saber. I actually love that heavily oxidized copper piece. It gives a lovely color to the saber.

There's some very tough competition in the contest this year, but you've certainly made a saber to be proud of. Great job!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I thought this was such a unique, cool-looking saber! Really love the "scales" and the lighted pommel.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

I agree, the heavy patina with polished rim and the etched scales were two very beautiful and creative directions. The pommel blends well with the scales.

Kudos on submitting a very worthy saber. I couldn't even make the revised deadline.

I fell in love with this saber as soon as I saw it. Beautiful job. The copper work is quite envy-worthy and it looks like something a dragon would use. Extremely impressed by it!