Thread: Resistor Calculations check

Default Resistor Calculations check

I used the resistor calculator on the LED Center website to calculate my resistors (duh), and I ended up with some strange answers. I'm going to be using a PC v3.5 with either a 7.4v Li-ion 1050mAh 14650 Battery Pack or a 7.4v Li-ion 1400mAh 18500 Battery Pack, to power a RGRB tri-cree. The green die will be hooked up to the main LED pads on the board, while the Red and Royal Blue dies will be wired to the FoC/ colour mixing pads. The calculator told me that for the Red die, I should use a 15 ohm resistor that is 1.8 watt capable resistor, and for the Royal Blue die, a 12 ohm 1.5 watt capable resistor. Are these numbers right? I ask because TCSS doesn't offer these resistors, and I feel like it would offer all the resistors one would need to build a saber with this sort of set up. Did I do something wrong? Are there resistors sold by TCSS that would work?

Those numbers don't look correct at all. What values did you plug into the calculator?

Source voltage should be 7.4v. Forward voltages are listed on the Tri-Cree page in the store. Typical current is 1000mA.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Ah, I see my mistake, I entered 130 Minimum Luminous Flux @ 350mA for the forward current for green, 80.6 Minimum Luminous Flux @ 350mA for red, and 625mW Minimum Radiant Flux @ 350mA for royal blue. I simply entered the wrong value.
    After entering 1000mA, it appears that I should use the 4.7 ohm 5 watt resistor for the royal blue diode, and then the 5.6 ohm 10 watt resistor for the red. Does this seem to be correct?
    Last edited by Renaissance Jedi; 10-14-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Blog Entries

I think you can get away with a 5w for the red as well. Ohms look right.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    I think you can get away with a 5w for the red as well. Ohms look right.
    I'll probably stick with the 5.6 ohm 10 watt resistor because TCSS doesn't offer any other 5.6 ohm resistors