Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: "Creed, Sword of Harmony" COMPLETE!

Quote Originally Posted by hapki View Post
    How did you etch the Aurebesh? Was it stamped? It looks great! I also like the way you adapted the claw mount. Very cool!
    The Aurebesh engraving is CNC machined and was done by Tim himself.

Thanks for the warm compliments everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zahc Zi Phan View Post

-snip-

Specs:

7.4v 3400mah 18650 pack
    Where did you get 7.4v with 3400mah??? I haven't been able to find one in 7.4v that would fit inside a saber.
    Last edited by Brent; 10-16-2015 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Where did you get 7.4v with 3400mah??? I haven't been able to find one in 7.4v that would fit inside a saber.
    I had to make a pack. That's one of the reasons the saber is so long because it is a 2 cell 18650 stick pack. I couldn't find anything like that online either. There are a few companies that will make you a pack though if you don't want to do it yourself. I used 2 Panasonic 3400mah 18650 batteries and a small Protection circuit.

Thanks! BTW...VERY nice design.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahc Zi Phan View Post
    I had to make a pack. That's one of the reasons the saber is so long because it is a 2 cell 18650 stick pack. I couldn't find anything like that online either. There are a few companies that will make you a pack though if you don't want to do it yourself. I used 2 Panasonic 3400mah 18650 batteries and a small Protection circuit.
    Just wondering, how you made the pack? What did you have to solder together, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by ColdVizjerei View Post
    Just wondering, how you made the pack? What did you have to solder together, etc?
    There are a few different ways to do it. If you google "7.4v protection circuit" or similar keywords, you will find a handful of printed circuit boards that are specifically for making a battery pack. They usually come with a data sheet that gives a wiring diagram to help you figure it out. You have to use unprotected cells. So basically each terminal from the battery is wired to the circuit, and there will be two pads on the circuit for your main pos and neg wires going to the soundboard. Pay attention to current cut off ratings, as you will need the circuit to support up to around 3A max discharge for a color mixing saber. If the saber draws more, it will cut off and you will have to reset by plugging your charger in. Also make sure you have a good soldering iron that gets hot and will allow you to make quick connections to each battery as you don't want to overheat lithium ion cells. Also pay attention to the size of the PCB for install purposes. Some are very small (half the size of a stamp, or roughly the size of a PEx) and others are large (the size of a stamp). Make sure you use a circuit designed for lithium ion, and be absolutely sure to isolate all connections from each other. Any kind of short will fry the board. The circuits can be found for anywhere from $4 to like $10-$15. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Zahc Zi Phan; 10-16-2015 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdVizjerei View Post
    I'm sure if you looked around, there is a tutorial here, somewhere. I remember lending Azmaria Dei a pic or two towards her tutorial.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    I'm sure if you looked around, there is a tutorial here, somewhere. I remember lending Azmaria Dei a pic or two towards her tutorial.
    Yep. I should have said that. I didn't give a specific set of instructions simply because there are so many different protection circuits out there and they don't all wire up the same.

Thanks for the info guys! I'll trawl the forums for more info