Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: chassis foul up

Default chassis foul up

Hey guys, I'm working on my first build and have run into a snag with my chassis that I am stuck on.

From blade to pommel, it goes in this order respectively: My saber includes MHSV1 Style 19 blade holder, Choke style 1 short, Ribbed extension V-grooved, 2" double female, and a pommel style 4. Stop me now if you already see the problem....no? Ok I will continue.

From the bottom my chassis includes V4 speaker mount, chassis disc style 5, acrylic chassis discs recharge port S8 (1/2" 3/16" brass spacers), 1" 3/16" brass spacers, acrylic chassis discs NB S3 (3/4" 3/16" brass spacers), 1" 3/16" brass spacers, chassis disc style 2 with holes, 4-40 brass nuts. Also I am running a Panasonic Li-ion 3.7N Panasonic 18650. And at the end of this, at the point between the choke and the ribs I have a V1 tactile switch mounted on a switch ring. This is all from the pommel towards the choke. Has anyone seen the problem yet? Don't feel bad if you haven't because I didn't see it either until after I bought the parts, assembled it, and then tried to insert the chassis into the hilt. If you haven't seen the problem I'll let you know.

Apparently the inner diameter of the ribbed section is not the normal 1.25" but instead is 1.15". Which means the majority of my chassis does not fit. In fact the only section that does fit is the speaker holder and recharge port section. I like my chassis design other than the obvious flaw so my real question is this; How do I get my chassis to run from a 1.25" and then change to a 1.15" to fit down the ribbed section, then back to 1.25" at the other end? I have already purchased acrylic chassis discs S11 for the NB. I'd prefer it to be one long chassis instead of broken into 2 or 3. So I'm thinking of some adapter to go between sizes but I didn't see anything on TCSS that can do that. Anyone have any ideas? I would love to hear any and all. Oh and "You CAN'T do that." is not an acceptable solution. CAN'T is a four letter word to me if you get my meaning.

Welcome to the Forums.

Well, yes, I saw your problems immediately.

I would strongly recommend that you post a picture of your saber (from the builder up - the internal view would probably be best). You also have another "problem" that you haven't exactly noticed yet. Depending on what else you think you are going to put inside, I probably have a few suggestions, most of which you probably won't like.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

IMG_2623.jpgIMG_2624.jpgIMG_2625.jpgIMG_2626.jpgIMG_2627.jpg

The first picture was original design with a sketch of the chassis. Not exactly to scale and I have modified it a bit. Then the actual hilt plus second ***y pose. Then the chassis as it sits now.
    Last edited by demogod05; 10-12-2015 at 11:46 PM.

IMG_2628.jpgIMG_2629.jpgIMG_2630.jpgIMG_2631.jpgIMG_2632.jpg

The first 2 photos are of my chassis sitting in the back end just fine with no problems. Third photo is where I intend on putting the switch. 4th photo is the other end of the chassis not being able to fit into the ribbed section. And last photo is the new chassis disc fitting with me happy.
    Last edited by demogod05; 10-12-2015 at 11:48 PM.

IMG_2633.jpgIMG_2634.jpgIMG_2635.jpg

First picture is showing the only real section that can fit. The last 2 photos show that the aluminum chassis disc nor the NB acrylic chassis discs fitting and me sad.
    Last edited by demogod05; 10-12-2015 at 11:49 PM.

What is my other problem that I haven't noticed yet? And suggestions are welcome. Even the ones I don't like. Doesn't mean I won't tell you how wrong you are and how dare you talk about my baby that way! It's ok snobbism. We won't let the bad man say any more bad things about you.

Oh, Rob. When you see this, this wasn't the original design I was talking to you about. I thought I would practice a few times before attempting that one.

You might be better of splitting that crystal assembly off onto its own chassis, starting with another CD5 locked between the ribbed and choked sections.

As far as keeping everything else one solid chassis, Chassis Disc 2 would normally work as a 1.24" - 1.14" adapter, but apparently S11 uses its own custom holes not found on other chassis discs. Possible solution is custom-drilling the solid Chassis Disc 2 with holes compatible with both the Recharge Port and S11 NB/Lithium holder. Assembly would go something like:

Speaker Holder 4 > Pommel-locked CD5 > 1.24" Recharge Port > Custom-drilled CD2 > 1.14" chassis discs

And then perhaps capping things off a custom-drilled Chassis Disc 3 in the ribbed section.

That was what I thought I might end up doing, Kouri. Drilling custom holes and setting up the chassis as you listed it actually. I'm not so concerned about the crystal chamber. That was just more aesthetics with this being my first build and all. Thanks for the info. I will keep it into consideration. What else does everyone have?

Looks like you're getting some good advice.
    I don't know if a simple way to do what you are looking to do (other than swapping the v-grooved extension for a part with a 1.25" ID). You will have to drill new holes in some disks to get this to work.