Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soldering woes

Default Soldering woes

I think I messed up my LED

I was having some soldering success at first but then it start progressively getting more difficult as the tip wasn't melting. I then later found that the solder that gets collected on the side messes with the soldering iron and that only after touching that side portion of the iron tip with solder residue will it start melting the solder.

In any case, I there are unfortunately some brownish yellow marks on the LED now and it doesn't work anymore when I try to connect the alligator clips to a battery source. So yeah, I think I messed that up. I get the feeling I need to clean the soldering iron tip so if there are any advice one could give me, I'd really appreciate it! lol

Blog Entries

That sucks. Sounds like you over heated the led.

You should clean the tip after every connection. Brass sponge is best if you can get one. Wet sponge also work but not as well and can leave micro fractures in the tip after a while.

i don't know what you're working with but you should invest in a decent iron And good tips if you're going to be doing more.

Thanks! I'll try to invest in a brass sponge. I'm having trouble getting the solder to stick to the points on the LED

Blog Entries

Did you stick the led to the heat sink? That will make it extremely hard.

No, not yet. The LED is still on its own

Quote Originally Posted by Rayataz View Post
    Thanks! I'll try to invest in a brass sponge. I'm having trouble getting the solder to stick to the points on the LED
    Sounds like your soldering iron is not getting hot enough. What type of soldering station are you using?

-Denzil

I'm using a Weller WP25 currently

The most frustrating thing is it at first hot enough to solder and then it ceases to do so after about 30 minutes. I have been using a wet sponge to clean the tip each time I use it. What am I doing wrong?

Not sure I completely follow but I have rejuvenated several soldering irons by lightly sanding with 300 to 1000 grit sandpaper (whatever I had handy). Takes less than 10 seconds. If it doesn't re-tin, just sand lightly again until it does. Wrap the tip with sandpaper and twist around gently. y You may be able to use lower grit, but I've never tried. I would turn my soldering iron off after 15 minutes to be safe but mine isn't fancy. Also, I just use a damp sponge - no problems -- but I wipe it before and after each use and I tin it constantly.

I will try sanding the soldering tip then. Thanks!