Thread: How high can voltage go?

Default How high can voltage go?

Hello everyone,
    I have yet another question...In this thread, http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sa...sp?TOPIC_ID=11 it goes up to 12 volts for the Luxeon lll's. Can it go higher and is it possible to fit the required (whatever that may be) resistor inside the hilt? My thought was 8AA's is 12 volts but 2-9 volts would be 18 volts total and take up less space. Can a Luxeon 3 run off 18 volts or is that to much? And does more voltage make for a brighter blade? It would seem so but "seem so" doesnt always make it fact.

If this has been asked before you have my appoligies and may the stench of a thousand camels forever infest my armpits!LOL.

Cain

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Better get some good deodorant!!!

Why run 2 9v at 18v when you could just hook them up parallel for twice the run time but still be at 9v.

There is absolutely no gain whatsoever to have a LED circuit at 18v instead of 9v.

LED's are not voltage driven they are amperage driven. Too much voltage makes them go poof.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Tim,
    As always thanx for the reply. If there is no gain in brightness for LED based on votage supply than I will not go this route. But this does lead me to another question. Say I switch from the 4AA's with the 2.2ohm 5w resistor I have now to a 9v with a 5.6 ohm 5.6w resistor(with a white Luxeon 3)...Now, 4AA's = out to 6 volts so it would be higher voltage (which I now know makes no difference) but it would save a lot of space inside the hilt and be a little cheaper when I have to buy new batteries. Am I right about this? And if so what would be the cons of this set up- would it eat the battery to quickly-would the resistor be to big? I ask because I am trying to make a sound unit comprised of a gutted Hasbro and need all the room I can get, saving an inch of room would make my job a lot easier but I dont want to comprmise the quality of the saber just for ease of sound installation.

Hope it made sense,
    Cain

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I am not sure how a 9v compares to a 4aa setup as far as runtime goes. I assume it would be about half.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

A 4AAA setup will save you space over 4AA and they aren't much different that a 9 volt. A 9 volt will not last half as long as 4AAA's because alot of it's power will be dissipated as heat by the resistor (5Kmw with a 9 volt compared to 2.5Kmw with 4AAA).

that pretty much sums up what i have to do too. thanks ultra. i only have 3 1/4 inches leftover for battery space and a 4 AA is 4 inches and the 4 AAA pack i think will fit right in there and still have room left over. my thing was just how much power time i'd lose by dropping from AA to AAA's. and apparently its not too much at all. oh by the way, ultra i got your sound board mounted in the bottom hilt section of the real graflex and i just need to order a led , lens and lens holder, and maybe that 4 AAA battery pack from tim. then i can hook it all up. and its just as loud in this one as the first one i gotr from you which was installed in my heiland vader saber i just completed, if you wanna see it i posted pics of it lit up and the hilt too, in the pics area.