Thread: Fallout inspired Lightsaber idea

Default Fallout inspired Lightsaber idea

Sound:
    Boot: First few notes from the Fallout 3 theme, or some quote from Liberty Prime.
    Activation: Grinding/beeping sound from VATS being activated, typical saber activation blended with intense geiger counter clicks coming in halfway through VATS sound.
    Hum: Slightly higher pitched hum, with a constant geiger counter clicking.
    Swing: Typical swing, with more intense geiger clocking mixed in.
    Clash: Sound effects from the Plasma rifle.
    Deactivation: Geiger clicks fade out, VATS grinding again mixed with typical deactivation.

Saber:
    The Blade colour would obviously be green.
    I'd model the actual handle off the Pip-Boy. I'd want to create some long flat surface and have the activation switch be a dial.

I'm thinking for that, I could take a 4-inch double female grooved or fluted(one of the thick ones), have the curve milled off one side, put a fake LCD screen in there with an accent light behind it that would illuminate a pip-boy like screen when activated.

This would probably not get made for a couple years, as I don't have the cash or experience, but I wanted to talk about the idea. I'd love to see if someone ever would use this idea.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Sounds cool actually! If I were doing it though I would try so hard to get an actual LCD screen on there

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cire Yeldarb View Post
    Sounds cool actually! If I were doing it though I would try so hard to get an actual LCD screen on there
    Agreed!

how about a proto saber? That would afford room for a nice screen.

If you would want to try go right ahead. I only wrote it the way I did because it would be easier on my lack of wiring experience.

Ooh, and now that I watch a gameplay video to listen closer to the laser/plasma rifle sounds, the Pip-Boy itself has a really nice, if not low volume, staticky hum to it that borders on lightsaberish.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Agreed!
    how about a proto saber? That would afford room for a nice screen.
    I have wanted to build a protosaber for some time actually... hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Dogo View Post
    If you would want to try go right ahead. I only wrote it the way I did because it would be easier on my lack of wiring experience.
    Oh I don't know how to wire one up yet either, I was just brainstorming. Though with a bit of research it may not be as difficult as it seems! (then again it very well may be :P )

My doodles for a fallout saber never got anywhere, but I was thinking of taking some clues from handle of the Ripper and some metal cable snaking its way afterthoughtedly around the hilt. Where I got stuck was in trying to integrate the fat yellow power cell that powers the laser and plasma rifles as both the power source (battery pack) and kill switch. Just some thoughts...

Blog Entries

Not just wiring the LCD, you'd have to program it for what you would want it to display as well.

I recently bought an arduino to play around with and it came with an LCD. I messed with the LCD a little bit. Not easy, and I haven't gone back yet. Too many other things I'm goofing with right now.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Not just wiring the LCD, you'd have to program it for what you would want it to display as well.

I recently bought an arduino to play around with and it came with an LCD. I messed with the LCD a little bit. Not easy, and I haven't gone back yet. Too many other things I'm goofing with right now.
    That's true! though I've found the internet has tutorials for virtually everything, so if one were willing to put in a bunch of research hours it may decrease the difficulty a bit.

Though as you've worked with an LCD before and I have not, I will go with your assessment of "not easy" and leave it at that lol