Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My newest build, inspired by Madcow of Genesis Custom Sabers

Default My newest build, inspired by Madcow of Genesis Custom Sabers

I, like many others, love the designs of the amazing Rob "Madcow" Petkau, including the saber so great it's already had two runs (maybe three soon?):

The Corran Horn Lightsaber

Since I haven't been able to convince my lovely wife to allow me to spend that much money (at one time, at least), I built my own. This thing has been in process for about 2 years now, mainly due to work, school, kids, wife, and other assorted craziness, but it's finally finished. Well, until I device to make changes. Big shout out to Rob, Tim (TCSS), Naigon, Darth Ryo, darthxusia, and Sanjuro for their contributions.

Note: This saber is not for sale, nor will it ever leave my collection, out of respect for Rob's ownership of the design.

All MHS parts
    Powder coating done by yours truly
    NEC Igniter Mini R5
    NEC Z6 LED
    Main chassis and crystal chamber by Darth Ryo (CC paint job by me, it was ordered as black flexible rather than metal to save cash)
    Crystal is a Herkimer Diamond (actually a type of quartz)
    Custom Copper buttons
    Kill-key by Sanjuro
    Custom Dual-Phase sound from darthxusia, pulled from DMC4 (sword rev sound, this is a speeder bike handle, right? In fact, this sound is the sole reason this build has an Igniter!)

Side note, the saber bag was not created for this build but for my personal design (awaiting some CC love). It was custom made by Defcon4.

Last edited by TrypWyr; 10-05-2015 at 11:07 PM.

That's beautiful! The purple was an inspired choice and the crystal chamber works really well. It's great to see so much collaboration executed so well.

Man that is a fine looking saber. Nice work

Looks great Tryp! Definitely a very fitting tribute.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Blog Entries

Agreed, great tribute. By far one of my favorite designs out there and you did a nice job capturing its vibe.

Very nice. I love the Corran Horn design.

Is that real carbon fiber on the emitter, or just a decal?
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I love the buttons, are they just copper caps fabricated to fit over a standard tactile switch?

The powdercoated finishes are also beautiful. That is some outstanding work...

SS: Vinyl decal, left over from a cell phone skin. (You just never know when stuff like that might come in handy... I actually have a nice square that looks and feels like brushed steel too!)

I actually bought a huge piece of rubber mat similar to what Rob used for the neck on his runs, but was waiting until the build was complete before gluing it on. I wanted to cover up the seam from the two powder coatings so I threw the carbon fiber on there and liked it so much it stayed!

MikeC13: I used the double tac switch ring from the store and filed the switch buttons down to almost nothing. The copper is from a 6 gauge (I think) grounding wire from my local Lowe's. I just shaped the end, cut off with the dremel, then super-glued it onto the tac switch. I was sweating for a little while, worried I might glue the switch and make it inoperable, but a TINY amount of gorilla gel glue later I was good to go. That stuff is amazing, BTW.

Thanks everyone for the compliments! Glad to have this one completed.
    Last edited by TrypWyr; 10-06-2015 at 11:26 AM.

great job! Love the Corran Horn and your rendition looks very nice.

Your saber came out beautiful! I must say that I am a little jealous!
    "The Force is a river from which many can drink, and the training of the Jedi is not the only cup which can catch it."