Thread: 4-40 Button Head screw hex key striped

Default 4-40 Button Head screw hex key striped

I accidentally striped the hex slot on the 4-40 button head and now I can't get the Activation box off the hilt. I tried to drill the slot out so I could use a tap to back it out but my tap wasn't small enough. I then tried to use epoxy and that didn't work. Any ideas to get it lose would be appreciated.

screw extractor.... it has reversed thread kinda like an auger as it digs into the screw it i will back it out. Should be a few bucks at your local hardware store.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

Thanks for the reply but I ended up using a bigger drill bit and I eventually broke the head off (as well as a few drill bits). At which point I was able to grip the screw in a pair of pliers and got it out.

Also I called it a Tap but I meant a screw extractor. The one I had was to big. I was actually drilling a bigger hole to fit the one I had when the head broke off.

Thank you DarthFender. I have the same issue so this gives me hope. I tried dremmeling a slot in the screw head for a regular screwdriver but I lacked finesse.

I was also thinking of putting a slot in it but I don't have the right tool for my dremmel.

Quote Originally Posted by seym56 View Post
    I was also thinking of putting a slot in it but I don't have the right tool for my dremmel.
    What about a junior hacksaw or a precision file?

I never even thought of using my hack saw for the slot.

Go steady. You don't wanna scuff the activation box

As I said above I was able to fix it by breaking the head off with my drill bit. I have since just been brain storming ideas in case any one else has this issue.