Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First saber build log; Myrsky

Default First saber build log; Myrsky

Hello friends, I'm very excited to build a saber and thought I'd post up a build log to share and keep me a little motivated to keep going. I had an idea in my head what I was going to do.. at first I wanted to use my flashgun LINK, but seeing the options with MHS, I decided to build everything from the ground up.

This was my idea.. Everything I could find measurements on is as close to scale, other stuff is guesstimates.

Full sized: http://i.imgur.com/RY7YRDp.png

Got all my parts in the other day and tested out wiring very quickly. I still have to order a Red/Red/White LED. I ordered green because it was the only one in stock at the time ;

For making the parts black, I lightly scuffed the parts then cleaned the debri, oil/dirt off them with isopropyl alcohol (Just reg first aid type stuff).

After spraying with a light coat I baked each part. Then applied a second and third coat, baking after each coat.

This was after the first coat/bake;

After all coats/bake. The unpainted part I wanted to make the cutouts in first.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any good pics of me making the cutouts. It didn't go as well as I would have hoped, I ended up rounding them out for a more Microflash MPP type feel instead of perfect rectangles like my King Sol Flashgun which gave me inspiration for it.

Got a Blade Holder #20 with Bunny Ears today and I'm totally psyched up! Can't wait to paint it up tonight. I also got a ton of leather wrap. If anyone has any advice for wrapping them, I'd really appreciate it. I have 3M Adhesive spray, but I'd rather not put that all over the saber, it's very messy.

Still waiting on a couple small parts from TCSS to come back in stock, and some 3D printed parts to get to me before I can realllly finish this out.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

I love the concept and really like how its turning out so far! Great job!

Definitely going to be cool when it's done.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Small dilemma, I didn't really think it through when I ordered a 1.24" OD Crystal Chamber and a 1.15" ID Crystal Chamber MHS Part.. The part I made the small flashgun style cutouts will now be enlarged to show off the chamber, and I'll have to order another 2" Double Female Extension to get my desired length.

I guess I'll have to save the MHS Crystal Chamber part for another project.

On your leather wrap get actual leather glue from a craft store. if you have a michaels they have small bottles of it. If not go to an actual leather supplier and get a can there. If you absolutely can't find any leather glue get contact cement from home depot. Not contact cement like super glue but contact cement that you will find in the paint section I think. It is the same glue that they use to hold kitchen lament counter tops to the wood substrate, its yellow in color. But try to find the leather glue. Also I can't tell but are you cutting the ends of your leather at an angle?

Quote Originally Posted by snilam View Post
    On your leather wrap get actual leather glue from a craft store. if you have a michaels they have small bottles of it. If not go to an actual leather supplier and get a can there. If you absolutely can't find any leather glue get contact cement from home depot. Not contact cement like super glue but contact cement that you will find in the paint section I think. It is the same glue that they use to hold kitchen lament counter tops to the wood substrate, its yellow in color. But try to find the leather glue. Also I can't tell but are you cutting the ends of your leather at an angle?
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I have a michaels and home depot right next to eachother so I'll swing by tomorrow to find some leather glue. I didn't cut it at an angle yet, just kinda wrapped and taped one end to see how it looks. I bought 9 yards of it for $10 off Etsy so I've got plenty to play around with.

Working on wiring, double, triple checking and figuring out better/different ways to wire it.
    The recharge port and all the flash on clash wiring is under the board, the rest on top to give me extra space.
    3D Printed Chassis from GOTH, went with red for a "Sith", in hindsight it's a little too bright, should have went all black.

Changed my green placeholder to red, got my blade plug. Still need to drill and tap for the bunny ears, and I'm thinking about cutting some sink tubing or anything I can find with a 1" ID to make a little ring like real Graflex sabers.

not sure how this concept would work for the leather wrapping, but here goes: At each end use one or two button head screws to hold in place. Then the only place you would need to use the leather glue would be on your overlapping seams. As far as placement of the screws you could offset them 180 degrees (or what ever looks good) on the hilt. something like this. leather wrap example.jpg

Got some of the last parts I need and I'm already painting them!

Looking good! I had made the same mistake with the crystal chamber ID. I created my own 3D chamber so it was relatively easy for me to go back and adjust the diameter and print it again - however it was still $20 wasted on a part I can't use now.