Thread: R.I.C.E./Recharge Port Threads

Default R.I.C.E./Recharge Port Threads

Does anyone happen to know what kinds of threads that the R.I.C.E. and Recharge Ports sold @ TCSS have?

Ideally, I am looking to drill a hole in, and then "make threads into," an internal chassis that I have made out of schedule 40 (? pretty sure that's right XD) electrical conduit, then thread the R.I.C.E. Port and Recharge Ports into the chassis itself. But I need to know the proper threads before I drill into the custom chassis I have had made. I only have one shot to get it right.

So... does that even sound possible?

I am pretty sure you can do what I am attempting with the recharge port, but I am thinking that the threads on the R.I.C.E. port might be too fine.

Any help/thoughts are appreciated and thanks in advance,

Sigma

If you have access to a threading kit, then you probably have a thread gauge. Look in your kit and see if you can find it. You should be able to get the right threads. If you don't have one, check an auto parts store, machine shop, or other places which would require threading. They can't be that expensive.

I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, but it's the best idea I can think of. Good luck!

I don't know about the RICE port, but a 5/16" hole in the conduit will serve your recharge port well. The PVC should be soft enough for the recharge port to cut its own threads.

According to the store descriptions, the RICE port is M6x0.5 and the recharge port is 5/16-32.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouri View Post
    The PVC should be soft enough for the recharge port to cut its own threads.
    I was thinking that too, until I realized that some conduit is metal. That might be the type he's using.

If it's plastic, threading is a non-issue. I've made PVC knot-tying tools which rely on machine screws to hold the lace in place, and those screws self-tap in PVC easily. If it's metal conduit...are you sure it's thick enough to support any threading? I had thought that stuff was pretty thin.

Hello all and TY so much for the responses, I really appreciate it. I will try the self tapping method for the R.I.C.E. port. I do happen to have a 5/16-32 tap, so I can at least do the recharge port.