Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Building my first Saber, help with parts check?

Question Building my first Saber, help with parts check?

I've been looking into lightsabers for 3-4 months now every day. I've looked at various companies and I could never really find one that suits me (or my budget). So, I've decided to build my own lightsaber. I've been watching TCCS' videos on YouTube and I plan on using the first saber w/ sound tutorial video as a guideline. Before I make my purchase, I was hoping I could get some input to see if I have everything I need. There are a few things such as an extension, blade holder, pommel and pommel cap that I can't get at the moment as they are out of stock. I plan on getting my blades and LEDs from SF. I plan on getting the NB soundboard once it's available.

I've made a capture of the list, aside from the LEDs, soundboard and out of stock options, does everything check out? (click the link)

https://40.media.tumblr.com/4fc28e89...neeo1_1280.png <<<CLICK THIS LINK NOT THE ATTACHED THUMBNAIL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Siow; 10-04-2015 at 01:20 PM.

That image is too small to read. You need to upload it to a photo hosting website and link it so we can see it full sized.

Also, just for the record, I would advise against SF LEDs and blade. Also, do you understand how to wire an SF LED to a Nano Biscotte?
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Yeah, the SF blades are known to not always fit properly in MHS bladeholders. If you want the best and brightest LEDs, I would get one of the Cree LEDs from TCSS.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
    That image is too small to read. You need to upload it to a photo hosting website and link it so we can see it full sized.

Also, just for the record, I would advise against SF LEDs and blade. Also, do you understand how to wire an SF LED to a Nano Biscotte?
    I couldn't figure out to get rid of that thumbnail from a previous attachment, hence the words in parentheses that say (click the link).I ran into this video where someone takes apart a SF LED to get down to the basic parts

Last edited by Siow; 10-04-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Yeah, the SF blades are known to not always fit properly in MHS bladeholders. If you want the best and brightest LEDs, I would get one of the Cree LEDs from TCSS.
    I've considered that but SF claims their LEDs come pre-resistored and are designed to use a one 18650 battery set up. The SF owner said "The LED's will arrive with one red positive lead, and one black negative lead, they are designed to run on a single NCR18650B battery", "It's wired in parallel, and as it says on the listing page, it is designed to run on a single high output 18650 at 3.7-4.2v without a resistor".

Under most circumstances I'd go with TCCS for LEDs but I'm unfamiliar with LED setups, I just want a nice yellow and I'm a bit too timid to get that with TCCS LEDs, with SF, it's pre-resistored and it comes with 4 LEDs (2 green 2 amber) to make a nice, bright yellow that I like.

As for the SF Blades not fitting the MHS blade holders, I was under the impression the MHS blade holders hold 1" OD blades, which is what TCCS, US and SF offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Siow View Post
    I've considered that but SF claims their LEDs come pre-resistored and are designed to use a one 18650 battery set up. The SF owner said "The LED's will arrive with one red positive lead, and one black negative lead, they are designed to run on a single NCR18650B battery", "It's wired in parallel, and as it says on the listing page, it is designed to run on a single high output 18650 at 3.7-4.2v without a resistor".

Under most circumstances I'd go with TCCS for LEDs but I'm unfamiliar with LED setups, I just want a nice yellow and I'm a bit too timid to get that with TCCS LEDs, with SF, it's pre-resistored and it comes with 4 LEDs (2 green 2 amber) to make a nice, bright yellow that I like.

As for the SF Blades not fitting the MHS blade holders, I was under the impression the MHS blade holders hold 1" OD blades, which is what TCCS, US and SF offers.
    I'm not going to get into what SF "claims". All I will say is "Caveat Emptor" where that vendor is concerned.

While all three mentioned sell 1" blades, the tolerances is what makes the difference. If you go with something other than TCSS, you may (more likely probably) will need to sand down whatever blade to fit into the blade holder.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 10-04-2015 at 01:33 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Well, I've edited my original post to better show which link to click for the image of the list of parts. Aside from the missing/out of stock components, does this build seem solid?

Quote Originally Posted by Siow View Post
    Well, I've edited my original post to better show which link to click for the image of the list of parts. Aside from the missing/out of stock components, does this build seem solid?
    Well, I don't see a blade holder, pommel or pommel insert. Other than that, everything looks ok. I don't see anything glaringly wrong.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Well, I don't see a blade holder, pommel or pommel insert. Other than that, everything looks ok. I don't see anything glaringly wrong.
    Yeah, it's just that the things you mention and an extension I want are out of stock. I'm curious though, are you good with LEDs? I'm just looking for a bright, nicely colored yellow LED to my saberstaff.

Quote Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post

I see your avatar has a yellow blade. Did you accomplish that with LEDs from TCCS? If so, can you tell me how?