Thread: PC 3.5 FOC wiring vs color mixing

Default PC 3.5 FOC wiring vs color mixing

I have read the PC 3.5 manual and cannot understand the wiring difference between setting up FOC vs color mixing if you're not using the color extender. Eventually I will buy one, but inventory is zero right now.

I have everything else wired up and running (sound, main die, RICE, auxillary switches/LED) but, I cannot understand how to get the FOC to work without the extender.

Thanks in advance.

First, Welcome to the Forums.

You don't NEED the Color Extender. You can wire other 2 dice to the underside of the PC. Look up Pseudo Color Mixing in the manual to show you the wiring. Where you put the resistors will depend on what kind of battery pack you are using. FoC is essentially using color mixing to come up with a FoC color.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I'm guessing the calculations for resistors are pretty much the same across all the soundboards?
    For a NB powering a Red Cree 2.59v run 1000mA using a 3.7v 18650, I'd use a 1.2 Ohm 3 Watt. Would it be the same for a PC using the same stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    First, Welcome to the Forums.

You don't NEED the Color Extender. You can wire other 2 dice to the underside of the PC. Look up Pseudo Color Mixing in the manual to show you the wiring. Where you put the resistors will depend on what kind of battery pack you are using. FoC is essentially using color mixing to come up with a FoC color.
    Thanks -- it's fun to work on this -- and glad there are people out there to help clarify when us newbies get confused!

I only mentioned the color extender as that wiring is clear to me.

In looking at the wiring diagrams for FOC (which is what I want) it looks the same (to my na?ve eyes) as the color mixing. In fact, the way I have it now, I get color mixing -- when I tap the PC to active flash on clash, nothing happens (except the sound). I'd like to get the color to change on clash.

If you have everything wired properly, it sounds like a configuration issue, or you may have things in the override file that cause e FoC not to work.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Quote Originally Posted by ColdVizjerei View Post
    I'm guessing the calculations for resistors are pretty much the same across all the soundboards?
    For a NB powering a Red Cree 2.59v run 1000mA using a 3.7v 18650, I'd use a 1.2 Ohm 3 Watt. Would it be the same for a PC using the same stuff?
    It depends. The formulas don't change but the values might depending on certain things, like which battery pack is being used.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Yes! That did it. I reset the board and voila.. Thank you!!!