Thread: Hello everyone...

Default Hello everyone...

I've been lurking around for a month or so, and I've decided this is something I need to accomplish. I'm very impressed with a lot of the work I've seen here (most notably Rob Petkau) so I signed on to begin the necessary research to pull this off at a level that will satisfy my creative urge. My day job is Technical Director for a solid-state pump controller/safety vacuum relief system manufacturer, and another hobby I've enjoyed for many years is custom R/C off-roading, so soldering and handling PCB's and wiring is second nature to me.
    I've been into knives and swords for most of my life, and around the same time that A New Hope was released I started making them myself. So I'm also comfortable with manipulating metals and using lathes and drill presses and whatnot.
    It was the concept of the lightsaber itself that made me a Star Wars fan to begin with, so after finding this forum and seeing what all you craftsmen have been doing, it's only natural that I would want to add this art to my list of accomplishments.

Here's a couple recent examples:

American Bowie. 5061 tool steel blade, Sambar Stag horn handle with Cherry and red phenolic spacers and brass fittings...

IMG_0060.jpg

A practice longsword. A blend of German and Italian influence. 3/16" 7005-T6 blade, steel cross-guard, aluminum lathe-turned pommel and oak grips pinned with steel...

IMG_0230 (1).jpg

Looking forward to a new and exciting learning experience and making my own custom lightsabers!! Thanks for having me...
    Last edited by MikeC13; 10-02-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Hello there. Welcome to the party

Welcome! Glad you could join us!
    "The Force is a river from which many can drink, and the training of the Jedi is not the only cup which can catch it."

Welcome to the Forums!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard.

welcome, glad you chose to be here

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Welcome, sir.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!