Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First Build planned for spring, could use some advice

I saw this happen 7-8 years ago when Lithium Polymer cells became the go-to power source for r/c trucks. The size and weight savings were just too good to pass up, but yes they are slightly more volatile than Ni-Mh packs. A couple guys screwed up and blew up a couple packs, and before long guys were like "I built a bunker for my charger in my backyard and lined it wth steel and installed an automatic sprinkler system just in case..."

My personal experience after years of charging lots of Li-Po packs is the opposite, I've never even had one get warm on me. If you follow the "rules of engagement" for Li-Ion and invest in the right charger you will be fine. Like Darth Chasm says cells are not to be modified in any way other than maybe cutting off a connector to hard-wire a recharge port. Handle them with respect and they'll be fine...
    Last edited by MikeC13; 10-20-2015 at 08:40 AM.

The Li-ion cells in the store have a hard metal covering. Most li-po packs are softer and less durable. Both cells will generate a rather energetic fire if ruptured, but ruptures are FAR more likely with li-po due to it's less rigid outer shell.

In the event of a fire/explosion with a R/C truck, you will likely lose your R/C vehicle. If you have a fire/explosion in your saber, you could lose your HAND. This is why we recommend against li-po packs in sabers. We bang these things around quite a bit. Not every saber builder secures their batteries as well as they should. In the interest of safety (and avoiding one-handed Jedi), we prefer li-ion cells.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!