Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PVC

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That particular size of PVC is now hard to find in Orange County California, for some reason. There used be lots of it a few years ago, it's what I used for the grips and emitter shroud on this hardware EL saber I built back in '02.

In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Well, that stuff is even rarer up here in Canada. Well, at least it was last summer. That's why I need to use the 2" OD stuff.
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

couldn't you just order what you need online? They have everything else.

BLUE 3- Ready

I have worries about the blade holder, It should be made of metal ( or must be?) How would you secure it within the pipe, retention bolts? I think it ought to work the same way a sink pipe set up wouldbut i could be wrong.

Depends on what you want done. I know some folks have used blade holders out of PVC but I don't know how hard they dual with them or if they use them more for show props. This kinda goes in line with converting MR stuff. There is nothing wrong with using the existing blade and parts but one with Tim conversion kit will beat the crap out of it.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

Having bent a LOT of PVC for other hobbies, your two best options are to either get a heat gun (for quick and easy) or use very hot steam (for ultra-smooth bends) and G-O V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y. Otherwise you can buckle the PVC.

One trick that a friend of mine does is to wait for a real hot, sunny day, and put a piece in his car on a jig, and slowly form over a few hours. Works great, but I'm not that patient and don't want to waste time and materials making a custom jig to bend it in...

Oh, and +1 on Ultra's kids line. Great example of how good PVC and be.