Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you wire a Tri LED to a MR Vader Saber??

Default Can you wire a Tri LED to a MR Vader Saber??

Hello all....
    I have an old Master Replicas ANH Vader FX Saber that broke, is it possible to wire a luxeon or Cree tri led to that saber's board? Would it have enough power to run three LEDs?

I am thinking of putting a red/red orange/white or a royal blue/red/white tri LED or something like that... I want either a red-orange color or maybe a purple, don't something interesting like that.

I would also be using a lithium 3.7v batter pack with that which I already have.

Anyways let me know what guys think... If this would even be possible or not to do

~ edit ~
    Found an answer....
    I believe I can as long as it's in parallel. What I'm not sure about is whether or not the Vader can take the 3.7v input source or not... Truthfully I don't know much about these boards?
    Last edited by Thousandlegends; 09-28-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    Its as clear as purple crayon!!

You could always run a Buck Puck on it just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcarp100 View Post
    You could always run a Buck Puck on it just to be safe.
    not quite. A buck puck need at least 5V to run properly.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Yea I figured the buck wouldn't work...
    I run a 3.7v lithium in my mace conversion saber without a problem and am running a soule p4 in it.
    I wasn't sure about the voltage of the Vader but suppose I could look at the battery pack to be sure

I am going to rebuild the hilt of the Vader since it's all messed up and hope to run a tri Cree in it.

I want to order the led from this week hopefull from TCCS but wanna make sure it runs or wasted money, we'll never wasted as I will use it but still.

Here is a pic of the battery box open as much as I can without destroying it.
    It looks as though it may be a 4.5v source... You can see the orange wire connecting the (+) and (-) of battery 1 and 2 and then you have the yellow wire connecting to the (+) of battery 3 going down to what looks like the contact of battery 2 on the (-) Red wire which is coming off the (+) battery source and the black wire coming off what seems like the (-) source and then brown wire which is either the ground or it has to do with the speaker in the rear of the box, which is what I would assume.

It just depends on whether they wired the speaker directly to battery source or not, but there are three contacts on the battery box so I would assume one has to do with the speaker and the other two are battery... So my assumption is that the brown wire goes to the speaker (-) and the yellow is also connected to the battery and speaker positive or something like that.

let me know what you guys think and I can post more pics if needed.

battbox-mr-vader-2005md.jpg

~ edit ~
    I may just take it apart further as I don't think I will need the battery box anymore so if I don't then I will just break it apart like I did with the mace box

~ edit ~ (2)
    alright so it looks to be a 4.5v source it is as I said the orange wire is connecting the (+) and (-) of battery 1 and 2 and there is an orange wire connecting 2 and and 3 also and the (+) and (-) the black wire connects to the (-) of 2 and the rtes wire to the (+) of 3 the yellow and brown wire are the speaker, brown (-) and the yellow (-) being wired into the (+) of the battery. That about covers it so there you go, it appears to be 3 batteries wired in series.
    Last edited by Thousandlegends; 09-29-2015 at 12:22 PM.

IT sounds to me like it's the same setup that they have basically used in the past, so it's really only going to power 1 die fully.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Ok sounds good...
    just to clarify, so your saying that the most likely the board won't have enough power to run 3-LEDs even in parallel?

Quote Originally Posted by Thousandlegends View Post
    Ok sounds good...
    just to clarify, so your saying that the most likely the board won't have enough power to run 3-LEDs even in parallel?
    Could they run 3 in parallel? Technically, yes, but they would be incredibly dim. You would only be able to run 1 die at fll power (and not use the other 2).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Like FJK said, with the stock setup it will be able to properly drive only one LED.

However, if you want to pick up the challenge and rebuild the internals from scratch, you may have this solution to run the three dices.

- replace the stock battery holder with a single 18650 lithium battery
    - replace the six transistors on the MR board driving the LEDs with a single high power transistor
    (it`s just the same approach used to convert the Hasbro economy boards)

You can find some detailed info in this old post Pyros, a custom "Dual-Phase" Mace Windu conversion

With that setup I was able to feed the LEDs with only 1600mA, but the limitation was coming from the NiMh batteries I had to use.
    Using a good 18650 Li-Ion battery you won't have this limitation and you may be able to feed up to 1000mA for each die.

Hey thanks I'll definitely read that...

I also have a Mace saber that I could do the same with as well so maybe I'll think about converting that one, but we'll have to see.

I am actually already running the 3.7v battery packs in my MR sabers I converted the mace one a while ago and am doing the same with the vader I was just trying to figure out the LED situation so I will have to try our method and see if it works for me or not.

thanks, I appreciate it
    Last edited by Thousandlegends; 09-30-2015 at 04:45 PM.