Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Generic Crossguard - a PVC Stunt Saber

Default Kind of confused myself

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Bray'Ka View Post
    both please
    If such things exist I would also be extremely grateful if I could share in the knowledge. I plan on doing a cross guard saber for my first build and Im a little in over my head.

bigkevin61,

What size threads did you use to put your saber together? I'm trying to wrap up at least the hilt of a PVC build that I am working on right now for the Episode IIV premiere here in a few weeks. Electronics may need to come together later. Thanks.
    "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"

How did you get such a smooth finish? It looks fabulous!

I actually like your cross guard better then alot of them I've seen people doing. I think some of them end up being really busy, but yours is nice and elegant and clean, and yeah, the size makes it impressive. Also, thanks for the detailed list of parts, looking to build a couple sabers on the cheap for some friends and just getting into this(and just moving into a new place) I can't quite afford some of the more expensive parts, so it's nice to see what can be done with some of the budget options and see what sort of results you can get! I found it super helpful.

Again though, great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiblon Vars View Post
    bigkevin61,

What size threads did you use to put your saber together? I'm trying to wrap up at least the hilt of a PVC build that I am working on right now for the Episode IIV premiere here in a few weeks. Electronics may need to come together later. Thanks.
    1) sorry for a late response, I had a BAD last quarter with work, and was MIA from sabers for a while
    2) to answer you question (possibly late), NO THREADS. I used 1" Sched 40 for the body, and the matching fittings for 1" pipe (IE endcap, and 4 way junction). this was all from the same supplier. Any connection can be "held together" with 3/8th" #6 pan head wood screws, though I did NOT use them for the pictures (All the pics just have the pieces press-fit). I have since added the screws as needed for stability (this is JUST a SHOW piece, and CANNOT be used for dueling).

Quote Originally Posted by stealthjones View Post
    How did you get such a smooth finish? It looks fabulous!
    I purposely sourced black PVC pipe from a "Furniture grade" PVC supplier, which all comes in gloss finish.
    During fabrication (cutting, mocking, and assembly), I treated the parts with extreme caution, basically working on everything covered in painters tape to protect the finish.
    I knew I was NOT willing to put the work into painting PVC to get a poorer quality result (not as nice of a finish), so I spent the $ and got the colored pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by trenchcoatangel View Post
    I actually like your cross guard better then alot of them I've seen people doing. I think some of them end up being really busy, but yours is nice and elegant and clean, and yeah, the size makes it impressive. Also, thanks for the detailed list of parts, looking to build a couple sabers on the cheap for some friends and just getting into this(and just moving into a new place) I can't quite afford some of the more expensive parts, so it's nice to see what can be done with some of the budget options and see what sort of results you can get! I found it super helpful.

Again though, great work!
    Thanks! Part of the "simplicity" was lack of confirmation of what the movie saber actually looked like (in detail), and lack of time to add anything else! I really do like the "clean look" of this finished (I guess it grew on me).

As for Parts, I cannot disclose the $ of what I spent here at TCSS (for multiple aluminum, sound included saber projects, including the now 33 stunt PVC saber builds), for fear the wife may find out, and she would NOT be happy! Safe to say, it has been A LOT, and I am a 100% backer of this store, the quality of parts, and great customer service.
    If possible, I'd go with Tim here as much as you can, but I can relate to the large scale/low cost outlook. Google/Amazon helps with that, but keep in mind, there are a few items you'll have to get here (Blade Tips, and possiblt resistors, as they are incredibly difficult to find in the correct Ohms & wattages on amazon...) and a number of parts (like LED holders/heatsinks) that are just easir to buy HIGH quality parts from here, rather than risk "cheap-o homemade" solutions.

This is awesome! I actually really like all of the dimensions. I don't think the handle is too long. If it was shorter it would look out of proportion to the blade. Great job!

How did you do the angle bevel on the pvc?