Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Generic Crossguard - a PVC Stunt Saber

Talking Generic Crossguard - a PVC Stunt Saber

Well, in what precious "free" time I have (now that I have been promoted, and have yet to backfill my old position, and have essentially been working 2 jobs since the start of the year),
    I also volunteer as a leader in the Boy Scouts of America.
    I have had a District training role for a year, and had an opportunity to staff a MAJOR Adult Leader Training Course (called Woodbadge).

One may wonder why this is relevant on a lightsaber building forum.
    Well, as part of that training course, the staff puts on a banquet for the participants that is usually a fun kids theme.
    For this course we chose Star Wars (right up MY alley!).
    As an awesome add-on, I offered to build each staff member their own custom PVC Stunt Saber.
    This was done on the EXTREME CHEAP, and I sourced A LOT of parts not from TCSS (though there is still no place better, and there were items only Tim has!).

I'll be posting about that project in a different thread.

But for this thread, I'm posting my personal PVC Stunt saber.
    Of course, since I was doing all the work, I had to make my own special! (Go Big or Go Home!)

Generic Crossguard

Specs:
    Solid Black PVC (Schedule 40 "Furniture" grade) 1" pipe and fittings, and 1.25" pipe for the switch plates.
    3 Cheapo "Amazon Special" '3W Deep Red High Power 660NM LED Emitter Light with 20mm Star Base' LEDs (part of the bulk buy for the 20+ saber project) .
    3 Cheapo "Amazon Special" '5 Degree Lenses with Black Holders' (part of the bulk buy for the 20+ saber project).
    Black Short Momentary Red Ring AV Switch & Recharge Port from TCSS.
    2.5-7.0v Momentary to Latching converter (Pololu board) from TCSS
    MHS v2 Chassis Discs for 18650 batteries from TCSS.
    A 18650 3.7V 3400mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery from TCSS.
    Covertec Button Thumbscrew from TCSS.
    1" bullet tips for thin walled blades from TCSS.
    Thin Walled polycarbonate for blades & LED Modules (part of the bulk buy for the 20+ saber project) from an industrial supplier.
    A 4-wire quick connect for the Switch, a 6-wire quick connect for the 3 LEDs, and resistors & DynaOhm from TCSS.

The Saber is just over 18' wide, and just shy of 51" tip to pommel. (like I said, Go Big or Go Home!)
    Without the blades, I can actually wear it on a covertech clip on my belt, though I will not be doing any acrobatics with it on.

The Glams:

Select Build Pics:

The size of the 'cross guard' was dictated by minimum spacing of the LED Modules, and minimum blade inset (for the set screw).
    The cross guard blades themselves are 6.5" long, plus tip. The main blade is 32" plus tip.
    The Blades are homemade, using approximately 3' of clear wrap (as getting any LONGER length of wrap in was an exercise in frustration).
    The LED Modules are hot-glued together, housed in 1.125" cut offs of 1" thin walled blade material.
    For a heat sink, I used stick on RAM heat sink modules. In testing before assembly, they conducted heat well (away from the LED star).
    8-32 set screws are used to hold the LED Modules and Blades in place. 3/8" #6 wood screws are used to mount the Switch and Recharge Port plates.

Thanks to the community for all the wonderful information freely shared, that helped me even think about attempting a 20+ Saber Build in less than 3 months!
    Last edited by bigkevin61; 09-28-2015 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Fix Quotes?

Nice work. Definitely a little large for my tastes, but it looks like a fine saber.

PVC is a marvelous and versatile material to work with, especially when you're on a tight budget. Congrats on getting all those sabers built!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Nice! That is one behemoth of a saber!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Do you have a schematic for this? Im working on a crossguard saber as well and im having trouble mapping everything out

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Definitely a little large for my tastes, but it looks like a fine saber.
    1) I am NOT a small individual.
    2) I probably could have gone with a 28" main blade, but I was churning out 32"s for the mass build, and just grabbed one of those.
    3) The Crossguard's Blade length isn't too bad, but the 1" PVC for the Blade Holder / LED Module, seated in the unmodified "+" PVC fitting had a wider "base" then I cared for. I was in a rush, and wanted to keep the modifications to a minimum!
    4) THANKS! It is extremely light for the size, and I think will turn a bunch of heads on Halloween!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    PVC is a marvelous and versatile material to work with, especially when you're on a tight budget. Congrats on getting all those sabers built!
    I am pretty impressed with the final quality of the other 20+. I put a bit more work into it some aspects (recessed Switch hole using a forstner bit, D Rings for all, Set Screws to seat the LED Modules), but had to stick with "Simple" choices for the parts. I think I'll play around with the leftovers and do a more stylized build or two (advantages of bulk purchasing, is more to play with!!). The Rustolium Hammered paints went on awesome, and turned out great (hid the imperfections that may have been there).

Quote Originally Posted by Starwinder View Post
    Nice! That is one behemoth of a saber!
    YES, yes it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Bray'Ka View Post
    Do you have a schematic for this? Im working on a crossguard saber as well and im having trouble mapping everything out
    Well, do you mean WIRING schematic? As such, no. I used a Pololu Momentary to latching Converter, and used both sides of the board's pair of output pads (3 Main LEDs and a Switch LED).
    I could mock something up in MS Paint if you think it would help.

If you meant a schematic/measurements/layout of the hilt parts, and could take some measurements if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevin61 View Post
    Well, do you mean WIRING schematic? As such, no. I used a Pololu Momentary to latching Converter, and used both sides of the board's pair of output pads (3 Main LEDs and a Switch LED).
    I could mock something up in MS Paint if you think it would help.

If you meant a schematic/measurements/layout of the hilt parts, and could take some measurements if you'd like.
    Yes that would help me immensely! (:

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Bray'Ka View Post
    Yes that would help me immensely! (:
    Wiring, hilt, or both?