Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Looking for some Soldering Tips and Help??

I have a Aoyue 469 that I bought after using a basic 25 watt non adjustable iron for some other projects. I've only recently started using the Aoyue on a few simple parts but I can definitely say that it is light years better than the simple non adjustable soldering irons. I feel much more confident tackling the NB connections now.
    Would a lightsaber switchblade be redundant?

Quote Originally Posted by Drawcut View Post
    I have a Aoyue 469 that I bought after using a basic 25 watt non adjustable iron for some other projects. I've only recently started using the Aoyue on a few simple parts but I can definitely say that it is light years better than the simple non adjustable soldering irons. I feel much more confident tackling the NB connections now.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    Thank you.
    Just to follow up again: I got my saber wired up with a Nano B. and everything worked on the first try!. The Aoyue 469 worked great. I did some practice joints on an old network card which helped me dial things in.
    Would a lightsaber switchblade be redundant?

I ordered the 469 from Amazon, and it came yesterday (gotta love Prime shipping). I soldered a few wire splices and the PLI, and it seems to work great. Waiting for my NB to come in the mail.

Anyone have experience with this iron:
    http://www.amazon.com/Lead-Free-Sold...dering+station ?

It doesn't look too expensive, and supposedly the lcd display shows actual temp.

I'm thinking of getting it since my current 15+ year old non-adjustable POS iron just doesn't seem up to the task of fine detail (electronic) soldering.
    It still has the original tip and at this point, I have no idea if replacements are even available any more.
    I have an old roll of 63/37 .050" diameter rosin core solder I plan on using. (radio shack cat # 64-015)
    Spec sheet I found online says it melts at 183 C (361.4 F)

I can't say I'd recommend that iron. The only positive thing about it would be the readout but I honestly wouldn't trust it. People here have had good luck with the Aoyue 469 and it's really inexpensive. Also, how old is that solder? If it's 15 years old like your iron, I'd throw it out and buy a new roll. Solder has a shelf life of 3-5 years.

Luckily the solder is significantly newer than the iron, although I think I've seen smaller diameter solder recommended on these forums.
    If the 469 is so well regarded here, I just might have to give it a try.

Do you hear that?
    That is the sound of a thousand terrible things headed this way.