Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on Li-ion (cannot purchase TCSS Li-ion RE Int mail restrictions)

Default Recommendations on Li-ion (cannot purchase TCSS Li-ion RE Int mail restrictions)

So as I'm designing a 2nd build with the TCSS keystone inline holders (and hopefully avoiding raw cell tab soldering.)
    (The acrylics for chassis i have seem a bit messy and unnecessarily bulky wiring the pcm's on manually... seems to involve to many variables for error / even with heat-shrink.)
    Does anybody have a standard rule of thumb for pcm location and best wiring practice? Or simply just obtain pre-made packs for chassis installations?

I have been reading up on Li-ion brands and discovered this seemingly reputable ebay listing. (I have avoided a direct link in case of forum rules or something. If so my apologies re listing number 281004345565) 2k+ units sold no neg info on seller and I've noticed these branded 'blazar' pcms with NCR cells and labelled 3.6v.
    Are these not suitable for PC/NB etc? The seller seems reputable enough... but I thought 3.6 was a redundant standard of older liion cells? Nowadays 3.7 is pretty standard for all cells right?

So having asked obscure questions, may I also ask what brands does everybody prefer to use?
    I know there are quite a few fake batteries out there, but where I am I have to buy max 2 cells at a time per parcel with national/aus postage restrictions.

Hope nobody minds me asking these questions :)

Still not having any luck sourcing pre wired protected packs in AU... I guess i'll consider an RC shop at worst....

I guess 47 eye rolls so far heh

You've stumbled upon one of the harder questions to answer. Unless one of our other Australian members speaks up, this may be something you'll need to figure out for yourself.

I do know that e-cigarettes will often use li-ion cells. I don't know how prevalent those shops are where you're located, but they're a dime a dozen around here.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I've seen those batteries before. The pair I had were 18650 Li-ion cells from a vaporizer, but I am not sure they were PCB protected. At any rate, a hobby shop might be the way to go, and maybe mod the batteries if needed. When it comes to brand of battery for a sound card, stick to what the manual says. Just my 2 cents

You can also scavenge 18650 cells out of many laptop battery packs.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks all good points,

Yeah the RC shop will be fun...

A certain electronics store here sells cheaper china raw cell versions for $20+ each...

I'm still stuck on the 3.6 cell marking but will get a pair of the NCR rewrapped blazars and have a look and post findings.
    (They only had raw AW's.)

wish me luck

HELLO FELLOW AUSSIE!!! There is no good option that I have found unfortunately. The best I have been able to come up with is to buy the PCB for 7.2V Li-ion battery packs and combine that with either the 18650 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery 2600mAh 3.7V Solder Tag or the 14500 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery 800mAh 3.7V Solder Tag from Jaycar.
    If you are not sure, ask. If you are sure, ask anyway, you may be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by JD8a27 View Post
    I've seen those batteries before. The pair I had were 18650 Li-ion cells from a vaporizer, but I am not sure they were PCB protected.
    People don't usually use protected batteries for vaping. I haven't met anyone who does or seen any vape shop that sells them.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

The Vape I had was one of those big box looking ones that regulated the Voltage for a better "hit". They were labeled as 18650 batteries. I would have to speculate with you that they weren't protected. They were almost along the line of rechargeable batteries like that of the Trustfire ones sold here.

I have sourced a few assortment brands for arrival sometime next week, I will see how they perform