Thread: Current PLI design / first post ever

Default Current PLI design / first post ever

Hello all, First time post n all~

So yeah I'm in the planning phase of my first build, Sifting through my first parts order... drawing schematics...
    I cannot find any current thread on the PLI wiring, only very old threads which mention adding resistors.
    Does it still require a resistor or has it been addressed on the current board design?
    (It is late here and I can't make out what the part is, so I thought why not just join the forum and expose myself to an onslaught;)

a quick rundown~
    At this stage I am just testing everything @ 3.7v with a protected 18650 single cell.

I haven't decided wether I will run 2x 18650 parallel, or two in series for 7.4v chassis.
    Making a few raw li-ion protected ss packs this week and I have few new bms/pcm (7.4v/2-7a discharge capacities etc) units on the way so working out which design (S/P) is safest and more efficient for in chassis recharging, module compatibility etc. Also considering which specific Li-ion chemistry is best for this application.

I might be able to wire a 2x18650Cell pack inline with pommel speaker mods (i know i'm talking working with mm to spare, I love a challenge~ [dusts off the trusty dremel.])
    (standard hilt size/choke/pommel combo) but I can always single cell if need be and remove the PC's Step up reg as a last resort.

Final design will be (PC3.5,ColourXtender,R-G-RB/Cree) so Ah seems paramount ;)
    Working with a Li-ion charger based on MCP73861, will run a single cell test tomorrow (outside.)

When I've finished a schematic I will upload it for perusal and peer review ;)

Be nice now,

"I cannot teach him, the boy has no patience..."

~I may wake up tomorrow and regret this whole post~

Welcome to the forums.

I haven't used a PLI yet so I can't answer your question but have you watched this video on the PLI?

I can't watch youtube on my work computer so I can't check for you but it might have the info you're looking for.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Greetings!

I agree with Miraluka, the PLI video by Madcow will likely answer your questions. Also check out the description and "additional images" for the PLI in the Store for how to wire and mod the PLI to work for 7.4v systems.

It's pretty straight forward wiring (and no resistors required), but if you do decide to go with 7.4v battery supply (as required by the PC 3.5, unless you hack it for single cell use), keep in mind that the two pads you need to bridge for using the 7.4v supply are extremely small. I found that a small length (like 3mm) of 26 gauge solid wire and a fine cone tip for soldering worked best.

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing a wiring diagram for future reference!

Yes, nice to meet you both,

I had failed to notice the description mentions "The PLI is setup for a single 3.7v Li-ion cell with all active LED's lit by default." Not my finest moment...
    I managed to notice the 7.4 bridge but the old threads on a resistor requirement threw me off track, thanks for the guidance.

A good outcome, for if I did not ask the question and was incorrect somewhere~ it would get expensive very quickly

Now back to the build for now ~

About that diagram